Spending time with the family is easy (believe it or not!). Children appreciate any amount of time and attention we give them - and they DO notice! Many moms and dads resolve each year to spend more time with the family, but sometimes don't know where to start, or think they have to make a huge time commitment for it to "count."
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Sign up for Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, 4-H, etc! There are so many opportunities for parent involvement, you can't help but spend more time with them.
- Invite the kids into the kitchen to help make dinner, or into the garage to help with that home improvement project. Better yet, have them come up with the menu or choose a project to work on with you! Do this at least once a month.
- Volunteer to be a coach or team mom/dad for your child's sports team. It may be a lot of work, but it has a definite time commitment - you can't skip out on it, and you know when it will be over!
- Schedule a family game or movie night, or even family Wii night! Once a week would be great, but with busy schedules can be unrealistic. How about once a month?
- Eat meals together, at the table, at least 3 times a week. Sunday night is a good choice. Or how about Sunday brunch? It can even be a delivered pizza - just don't sit in front of the television.
- Sit down to help with homework, and read to young children daily (including babies!).
- And speaking of the television...TURN IT OFF! Meals should be time for conversation. Families need to get to know each other better, and children need to practice their table manners and conversation-making skills.
Tips for working parents
Improve family time
How to spend more time with family: more ideas