A Sparks Middle School shooting has been reported in Nevada. On Oct. 21, USA Today reported that at least one student was injured and transported to a nearby hospital when a gunman opened fire inside the Middle School. A spokesperson from the Renown Regional Hospital told the media that two boys are in critical condition but whether or not they were both students at Sparks is unclear. The gunman is believed to be dead.
"Police spokesman Rocky Triplett said students had been evacuated from the school to nearby Agnes Risley Elementary School, the newspaper said. The students from both schools were then being moved to Sparks High School," USA Today reports.
The Sparks Middle School shooting occurred this morning just as children were getting settled into their first classes. A 12-year-old boy was shot and the school was immediately placed on lockdown. Authorities were able to evacuate the school and keep the majority of the children and staff safe. No other injuries have been reported at this time.
According to the report, the gunman (who has not been identified) shot himself. Details on this case, a motive, and an update on the victims should become available soon.
Update: AP reports that two people are dead and two more have been serious injured in the shooting.
© Effie Orfanides 2013