Christmas is just around the corner and with the holiday season comes decorating the Christmas tree. Before creating ornaments for the tree, though, the Christmas tree must be chosen. There are several Christmas tree farms throughout northern California that let you choose and cut your own tree. You can cut a tree on National Forest land if you live near any. Or you can visit one of the dozens of family-owned farms in northern California towns like Yankee Hill, Loleta, or Shingletown.
Now that you know where you will be getting your fresh Christmas tree, set aside some time to create this one-of-a-kind, simple yet elegant, shiny and glittery Christmas decoration for your own tree or as part of an ornament exchange with family and friends.
This ornament will cost you next to nothing to create and if cared for properly will last for generations. The supplies and steps are listed below and there is also a slide show that depicts each step. So the next time you plan on making scrambled egg pie or a maple syrup dessert cake, don't crack those eggs! Blow those eggs out and repurpose those egg shells. Are you ready to start creating the Sparkling Egg Shell Christmas Ornament?
Materials and Supplies
- empty/blown egg shells*
- Elmer's glue or Modge Podge
- sequins, jewels, rhinestones, etc.
- hot glue gun
- foam brush
- shallow dish or zippered plastic bag
- drying rack or upside down egg carton
Steps to create your egg shell ornament
- Cover the area of the egg you want glittered with a semi-thick layer of glue or Modge Podge. If you plan on covering the entire egg, do only half at one time.
- Gently roll your glued shell in the shallow pan of glitter or shake in the zippered plastic bag.
- Set aside to dry. A wire drying rack or similar item works well.
- When the glitter has completely dryed, add ribbon to the top using a hot glue gun. It can be done in one big loop or make a knot at the top to hang by.
- Now add other embellishments. Make a design with rhinestones, sequins, or other sparkly items.
You have now just created a unique Christmas ornament from an egg shell that will last from year to year. Make a dozen Sparkling Egg Shell Christmas Ornaments and store in an egg carton. Make one for each person on your gift list and decorate their package with a decorated egg shell as a name tag. The ideas of how to decorate this blank canvas are only limited by your imagination.