All over the Harrisburg area, kids are getting ready to go back to school. When they get home, they’ll be hungry for hearty fare. This is a great easy dish to make on school nights. The preparation is about 10 minutes, and the cooking is about 30 minutes. It goes well with meat loaf. If you have tomatoes in your garden, use them in this! If you have a ton of zucchini that’s begging to be used, throw in a chopped zucchini.
• 1 (16 oz.) can of stewed tomatoes, or 6 chopped, fresh plum tomatoes
• 1 ½ cups water
• 2/3 cup rice
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Fresh ground black pepper to taste
(Serves 4 generously)
1. In a large saucepan, mix all of the ingredients together.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat down to medium.
3. Cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
4. Let stand, uncovered, for about 10 minutes before serving. Stir before serving.