Today’s recipe is Spanish Chopped Salad. It’s a delicious vegetable paradise with a good dose of Spanish oil-cured olives, Manchego cheese, Spanish chorizo and chickpeas. Homemade sherry vinaigrette tops everything off for good measure. Healthy and joyous eating!
Spanish Chopped Salad (Recipe Tastespotting.com)
Simple Sherry Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 medium clove garlic, very finely minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ small red onion, cut length-wise and thinly sliced into slivers, soaked in bowl of ice water for about 10 minutes
- 1 bag of Italian salad blend, additionally chopped into smaller pieces (or 1 head of Romaine lettuce and 1 head radicchio)
- 1 bag of arugula salad blend (or 4-5 handfuls arugula)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut into halves or quarters (we used yellow ones for the color)
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup Spanish oil-cured olives, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ pound Manchego cheese, diced into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ pound Spanish chorizo, sliced into thin rounds, then cut into quarters
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the Vinaigrette: Whisk together the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes then add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly to form an emulsified vinaigrette. Taste for seasoning, and adjust salt, pepper as needed.
Make the Salad: Combine Romaine, radicchio, and arugula lettuces, tomatoes, roasted peppers, sliced olives, chickpeas, Manchego cheese, chorizo, and red onion in a large, wide bowl. Drizzle about ¼ cup of the vinaigrette over the ingredients in the bowl, then toss gently to combine and coat the vegetables. Taste for seasoning and adjust with additional vinaigrette, salt, and pepper. You will not use all the dressing. Cover it tightly and keep in refrigerator up to 3 days. Serving yield – 4 to 8 servings.