Trying to cut down on carbs but miss your weekly spaghetti night? Try using Spaghetti Squash as a substitute. The squash pictured here cost about $4 at Tampa area Publix locations and will feed a family of four for dinner and a small lunch the next day. To make:
Baked Spaghetti Squash
1 Spaghetti Squash (about 2 lbs)
1/2 cup water
1 Tblsp. butter (optional)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. While the oven heats, slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp and seeds with a spoon.
3. Poor the water onto a non-greased cookie sheet.
4. Put half of the butter into the groove in each squash half. Place the squash, skin side up, on the water-filled baking sheet.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
6. Allow the squash to cool for 5-10 minutes, then scoop the stringy strands into a bowl with a fork.
7. Mix in Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with your favorite spaghetti sauce.