The past week's weather was a string of the same winter weather; dreary, overcast, snowy, and cold. For many fly anglers, cabin fever starts to set in about this time. Fly tying helps stave it off for only so long. Even TU chapter meetings and fly fishing events can help only so much. At least we have something to occupy the long winter days.
There are three big fly fishing events coming up in March:
- Ithaca Fishing Days (Leon Chandler TU Chapter) - this all-day fly fishing and conservation education event is scheduled for Saturday, March 16th.
- The Al Hazzard TU Annual Banquet - this evening banquet is the chapter's major fundraiser and is scheduled for Saturday evening, March 23rd.
- The Twin Tiers Five Rivers Chapter of the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) Fly Fishing Academy - this all day fly fishing course is scheduled for Saturday, March 23rd.
- Note that while the Al Hazzard Banquet and FFF Fly Fishing Academy are scheduled for the same day, it is possible to attend both for a truly full day of fly fishing education and entertainment, complete with fellowship and good food and drink.
In addition to the above major events, the following activities are also taking place in March:
- The Al Hazzard TU chapter will be setting up a demonstration table at the Oakdale Mall on Saturday, March 9th. The chapter is working to increase sales of banquet tickets and camping package raffle tickets for it annual fundraiser. Volunteers are needed to man the table throughout the day. Contact John Trainor at email@example.com or at 607-754-6371, if interested.
- As mentioned last week, the Timber Creek Sportsman Shop is holding an informal fly tying session on Saturday mornings at 9 a.m. at the shop. Anyone interested in fly tying can attend and participate or just watch.
Temperatures will slowly climb over the week ahead. Daytime highs will rise above 40 degrees towards the end of the week while night-time lows rise above the freezing mark. For anglers antsy to get fishing, this might be a good week to venture out.