Skip to main content
  1. Sports
  2. Recreation
  3. Hunting & Fishing

Southern tier fly fishing: A&G Outfitters fly tying, holiday deals

See also

The week ended with quite the bang, weather-wise. Winter storm Electra swept up over our area from the south and brought with it 8" to over a foot of snow, very cold temperatures, and wind. Winter is definitely here and local waters are showing it. Ponds and small lakes are ice-covered and even the warmwater rivers have ice present.

A&G Outfitters is holding a three different fly tying classes this winter. Each one addresses different levels of fly tying and fly tyer skill:

  • Fly Tying 101 - this class teaches the basics of fly tying for the beginner. The class is free and is held from 12 - 4 pm on Saturday's at the fly shop throughout January.
  • Fly Tying 201 - this class covers advanced fly tying techniques and will go beyond "normal" patterns and cover new techniques and materials. The class is being held on Thursday nights at 7 pm at the fly shop in January and February. The cost of the class is $100 and this covers instruction and materials. RSVP the shop if interested.
  • Winter Fly Tying Class - this class serves as a good refresher class for fly tyers looking to "shake off the dust". The class is being held on Thursday nights at 6 pm at the fly shop in January and February. The cost of the class is $50 and this covers instruction and materials. RSVP the shop if interested.

We are now in the thick of the Christmas shopping season and fly fishing retailers are hosting some great sales. A&G Outfitter has a winter fishing apparel sale going on. Shop at A&G for Orvis and Patagonia winter fishing gear and enjoy 10 - 25% off your purchase. This includes free shipping. Bass Pro Shop has a "Countdown to Christmas" sale going on with potential savings up to 40%. And Cabelas is holding a "Holiday Fly Fishing Sale" with up to 50% off on select gear. They are also offering free shipping until 12/18.

Fishing has slowed down with the cold weather. The Douglaston Salmon Run is reporting tough fishing conditions due to cold and snow. Some anglers braving the cold conditions have caught steelhead and browns with egg patterns.

Look for more cold temps and snow in the week ahead. After the passing of winter storm Electra, temps will drop at night, barely into the teens early in the week. Temperatures will then slowly climb to highs in the upper 30's towards the end of the week. Look for possible snow on Tuesday (70% chance) and Wednesday (30% chance). Most rivers have some degree of shelf ice and in some cases, anchor ice, as a result of frigid temperatures. If wading, use extreme caution as well as a wading staff and cleated wading boots.

Advertisement

Sports

  • The New York Yankees turn the first triple play of the 2014 season
    Video
    Watch Video
  • A big third period from the Rangers propel them past Philly in Game 1
    NHL
  • Donovan McNabb serves time in jail stemming from a December DUI
    NFL News
  • Interview with Bernard Hopkins: 'I'm from Mars, but I fight here on Earth'
    Boxing
  • Are you as excited as LeBron about the NBA Playoffs? We seriously doubt it
    NBA
  • New details have emerged about the friendly-fire incident that killed Pat Tillman
    Video
    Watch Video

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!