Did you know? Southern Living magazine celebrates the essence of life in the South, covering the best in Southern food, home, garden, and travel. Reaching more than 16 million consumers each month, Southern Living connects consumers with the region’s rich culture through a variety of print, digital, mobile, tablet and event platforms.
From iconic dives to underground dens, Southern Living keeps tabs on the South’s top-shelf watering holes, cocktail trends and drink recipes, and reveals “The South’s Best Bars” in its February issue, on newsstands January 18, 2013.
Southern Living recommends what to order at hotspots across the South for thirsty patrons who want to sip in style. The feature comes complete with a key that identifies which bars are date friendly, stay open late meaning after 1 a.m., and have a dapper dress code. Would you believe, Baltimore made the cut; check out details below? From citrus-infused cobblers and retro Sazeracs to bitters and beers, Southern Living sipped its way across the region and reveals “The South’s Best Bars:”
Speakeasies – Dark, sultry lounges with a dash of hush-hush:
- Midnight Cowboy – Austin, TX
- The Patterson House – Nashville, TN
- PX – Alexandria, VA
Outdoor – A gathering spot when your front porch just won’t do:
- The Foundry – Dallas, TX
- The Garage Café – Birmingham, AL
- West Alabama Icehouse – Houston, TX
Hotel Bars – Swank spots favored as much by locals as out-of-towners:
- Oak Bar – Nashville, TN
- OCHO – San Antonio, TX
Live Music –Toe-tapping joints worth the cover charge:
- D.B.A. New Orleans – New Orleans, LA
- John T. Floore Country Store – Helotes, TX
- The Station Inn – Nashville, TN
Restaurant Bars – Go for the food, stick around for the drinks:
- City Grocery – Oxford, MS
- Highlands Bar and Grill – Birmingham, AL
- Leon’s Full Service – Decatur, GA
Dive Bars – The unapologetically awesome down and dirty South:
- Earnestine & Hazel’s – Memphis, TN
- The Griffon – Charleston, SC
- Pinkie Master’s Lounge – Savannah, GA
Whiskey Bars – Where golden-hued love is doled out by the dram:
- The Bar at Husk – Charleston, SC
- Birds of a Feather – Baltimore, MD
- The Bluegrass Tavern – Lexington, KY
Killer Cocktails – Unforgettable drinks with recipes you’ll never remember:
- Anvil Bar & Refuge – Houston, TX
- The Crunkleton – Chapel Hill, NC
- T.N.T. Bar – Arlington, VA
What: Go celebrate the region’s rich cocktail culture with signature drinks, Southern bites, and exclusive happy hour deals alongside Southern Living editors at the brand’s first-ever “South-Wide Happy Hour” in Baltimore.
Where: Birds of a Feather Restaurant and Scotch Bar ~ 1712 Aliceanna Street Baltimore, Maryland 21231
When: Friday, February 1, 2013 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Who: Open to general public if you mention Southern Living enjoy a complimentary tasting of 10 year-old Speyburn single malt scotch whisky.
FYI: For more information on “The South’s Best Bars” and “South-Wide Happy Hour” click here for their website, follow them on Facebook or hashtag #SouthernHappyHour on Twitter for details.