It is true that the most popular cold drink favored in the south is sweet tea. The second most popular drink is lemonade. Plain lemonade is quite tart and can make many pucker-up while drinking. This is great for those who enjoy the sourness of lemons but for most children it is too sour for their taste.
Here we add some sweetened juice but not necessarily a sugared juice into the mix and some bubbly clear soda that will take some of the tartness away from the beverage. This provides an overall favorite for the young and old while still being a summer favorite and a refreshing drink on those hot and humid days of summer.
- 1 cup of lemonade mix
- 2 cups of cold water
- 1 (46 ounce) can of pineapple juice, chilled
- 2 cans of Sprite, chilled
- Combine the lemonade mix with the cold water and stir until combined.
- Then add the pineapple juice and stir and refrigerate.
- Add the chilled soda, right before you are ready to serve.
- A sprig of mint can be included in individual glass as a garnish if you so desire as well as a lemon slice. You can always make a pitcher full of homemade lemonade if you don’t have any mix available.
- Instead of the pineapple juice you can also substitute half lemonade and half a pitcher of iced tea to create another great summer beverage.
- If making the lemonade and iced tea mix add a sliced orange to the pitcher after squeezing it and remove the rind before serving. This will give the drink a little more flavor, extra vitamins and a naturally sweet addition to counter the tartness of the lemonade.
- The soda can be swapped out with 7-Up or lemon-lime seltzer if you prefer.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved