Across Tulane Avenue from the Gen. Albert Pike bust is an granite obelisk surmounted by a carved granite eternal flame. This is the downtown side of the intersection.
According to the inscription, which is carved in a sombre, art deco font, the obelisk was erected “in honor of the men and women of the Third Ward who served in World War II and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. Sponsored by Banks Social and Carnival Club, Inc. Dedicated Dec. 8, 1946.” The names of those who made the supreme sacrifice are listed on flanking plaques. Though it isn’t the fanciest WWII monument, it is a sobering patriotic reminder that communities all across the nation contributed to this noble cause.
There is space on either side of the obelisk for what appear to have been twin flag poles. Only the rusted stumps remain embedded in the granite.
An internet search doesn’t reveal if the Banks Social and Carnival Club still exists. The club was still active in 1975 because they sponsored another monument nearby this one.