Skip to main content

South Boulevard - Park Row Historic District was posh Dallas of yesteryear

As the 19th century rolled into the 20th, downtown Dallas expanded its boundaries, compelling residents of the Cedars to seek cleaner and quieter surroundings that began to elude them. Just south of City Park, a new development of comfortable homes sprouted along South Boulevard and Park Row. The new neighborhood welcomed former Cedars residents as well as the newest generation of successful entrepreneurs that made their fortunes on Dallas' growth.

The majority of residents who lived in this historic neighborhood were Jewish merchants who made their fortunes in Dallas. Among them were Herbert Marcus, the founder of Neiman Marcus, and his family. His son, Stanley, along with the other teens in the neighborhood, attended Forrest Avenue High School. The Jewish synagogues and agencies made their way to South Dallas as well, and the reform congregation of Temple Emanu-El was the first to arrive.

The city's growth continued to take its toll on many neighborhoods, and the inevitable expansion of the highway system throughout Dallas brought the construction of Interstate 30 slashing through South Dallas. Essentially, only 9 blocks remain of the fabulous revival, prairie, and bungalow style homes that were built from 1910 until 1935, homes which face onto Edgewood Drive, Park Row, and South Boulevard on the southwest side of Oakland Avenue. Deemed the South Boulevard - Park Row Historic District in 1977, the district is one of twenty historic districts within the City of Dallas.

Comments