There are number of software code review tools available for developers and testers to check, analyze and fix the possible risks in desktop and web applications. These tools have been designed to review compiled version of an application source code to find security risks and repair them. A source code review tool must select a security flaw on the basis of such consistency and confidence that it should be indeed a flaw, not tool’s mistake. In practical cases, finding security flaws is beyond the state of art of many code review tools. However, they work as support and aiding the software developers, testers to find security vulnerabilities and alert them just in time.
Some source code review tools are moving into the internal development environment of various software applications. It is quite beneficiary to implement such tools to detect bugs and security risks during software development phase and make quick feedback possible. Finding security risks and vulnerabilities during initial software stages is much easy to overcome the issues instead of finding and repairing them in later stages of the SDLC. Such tools scale well and can be used for lots of the desktop, web and mobile interface applications. They can easily find SQL injection flaws and buffer overflows.
Pre-commit and post –commit are two major types of the code review and most of the code review applications provide both review types. In pre-commit review type, a code is reviewed before going to codebase and a file ”diff file” to reviewers for changes, comments and general approval. In cast of post-commit code review, code is reviewed after uploaded into the server codebase. Pre-commit is advantageous because a mistake is found in its early stage before code is upload into to codebase. In post-commit review method, reviews are made after code has been uploaded and fixations are performed if required. In web UI, review teams support pre-commit because of its access and mistakes being caught before code moved to SVN.
Code Review Process
Code review process is where software architects, developers and testers meet and discuss about the specified software application security concerns. A key reason of code review process is to discuss and exchange the ideas about how source code will be interpreted. During source code review process, the key focus of team should be on issues such as object-oriented programming, data structure diagrams and algorithm used. For code review process to be efficient, it is important that teams should sit in a creative and fun environment. In this way, code review groups can drop certain tools and techniques to strength the development process.
Here is a comparison of top free and paid source code review tools,
1. Checkmarx.Com is a powerful application code review tool which provides secure SDLC scanning model to take responsibility of practicing secure code review. It provides pre-commit review to fix the code while it is being developed. Checkmarx is easy to use code review tool to find and fix security risks and vulnerabilities. The tool has made the things easy by reviewing the code you upload and check the application code and fix the vulnerabilities. Compliance & risk management, Checkmarx on demand, on-premise secure SDLC and central scanning are the major solutions provided by Checkmarx.
2. Barkeep is one of the free software code review tools and a user-friendly, fast and fun way to review an application code. It is actively developed and license provided by MIT. It supports Git and RubyOnRails platforms. This code review tool is lightweight and stays out one’s face. You can use Barkeep with both post-commit and pre-commit workflows. It sends email alerts for threats and code commits.
3. Code Collaborator is a paid code reviewing application maintained by SmartBear Software. It is actively developed and licensed by MIT. It supports Java platform ad AccuRev VCS. You can review code and find defects through flexible structure of Collaborator. Also, you can integrate this code review tool into your everyday development process to view associated code with reviews, view code reviews because of its integration with JIRA.
4. CodeReview is a simple and easy to use software code review tool from SmartBear (the same company which invented Collaborator). This tool has been designed to easily engage in code reviews because of its integration with Subversion and Git. The reviews happen asynchronously in CodeReview tool as per your time demand, so if your one code developer is sleeping in Middle East, a developer in United States can view the code.
5. When you need a faster code review tool, Codifferous is a best match for you. You can quickly access the code with shortcut keys once it has been imported from BitBucket or Github. When teams are working remotely, reviewing the code is difficult and might be time consuming process. With Codifferous, you can easily access the code and review with Codifferous no matter how far you are from data code server.