Soul Cabbage Rolls
This is is quite a fancy and very tasty dish. Stuffed cabbage with pork sausage simmered in a flavorful tomato sauce and seasoned with soul food seasoning. This dish is delicious served with mashed potatoes or hot buttered rolls. This easy recipe will only take 30 minutes to prepare and one hour to cook. It is a very hearty and filling meal that the whole family will enjoy.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 cup of onion, chopped
1/2 cup of celery, chopped
1/2 cup of carrot, chopped
1 head of cabbage
1 can of tomatoes, diced
3 tablespoons of rice, uncooked
2 tablespoons of green onion, sliced
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of soul food seasoning
1 pound of ground pork sausage
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, celery, and carrot and cover.
2. Cook and stir until the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove the core in the cabbage. Place the cabbage in a large pot of boiling water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Drain well and pull off 15 large leaves.
4. Add the tomatoes to the vegetables in the skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Cook the rice according to the directions on the pack.
5. In a mixing bowl, mix the onion, salt, pepper, soul food seasoning, ground pork sausage and rice and mix unti the ingredients are well combined.
6. Fill each leaf with two tablespoons of the meat mixture. Roll up folding in the sides.
7. Add the lemon juice to the tomato mixture. Place the cabbage rolls in the sauce and cover.
8. Cook over low heat for 1 hour. Shake the pan to keep from sticking.
9. Serve hot, straight from the skillet. Serve with extra sauce and enjoy!