As Sony's press conference was underway, some major announcements were revealed. We are here to report the highlights of the presser as some major announcements, including price drops, were made.
Jim Ryan came onstage to discuss the user interface for the PlayStation 4. He kicked it off with a trailer for the concept vehicles for Gran Turismo 6 that were announced for PlayStation 3. The release date of December 6, 2013 was also revealed. Kazunori Yamauchi and Sony Pictures are releasing a Gran Turismo motion picture with Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti, as we learned back in July.
Ryan discussed the innovation of the PlayStation 3. LittleBigPlanet Hub was announced to be a release later this year, which is said to be a free-to-play community that will allow the player to share clothing ensembles with friends and set challengers for others to play. Many features will be accessible to everyone.
A partnership with Rockstar games was also discussed that will offer a custom design headset with a PlayStation 3 bundle. If the consumer purchases Grand Theft Auto V directly from Sony, the consumer will receive a 75% discount off any Rockstar title.
PS Vita titles announced:
- Borderlands 2 (will be released with no date announced)
- New FuturLab's title
Also announced for the PS Vita were:
- MurasakiBaby will be a new title that allows the player to control the direction of the character by touching the screen of the PS Vita. It features a companion of a heart-shaped balloon that the player collects more of, as the game progresses.
- Big Fest is a free-to-play game that allows the player to strive to be the biggest music promoter. Discover and promote real bands and add them to your playlist. Visit friends' festivals and co-operate and compete.
To broaden its appeal and have it accessible to more users, as of tomorrow the price drop to $199 will be take effect and we will see a drop in price for the memory cards, with no mention of price just yet.
Lead System Architect, Mark Cerny, took the stage to talk about performance goals for the PlayStation 4 and discussed the collaborative approach with the developers to be able to architect a console by game creators for game creators. The PlayStation 4 is promised to have the strongest lineup in PlayStation history. Self-publishing across all platforms appeals to indie developers looking to ensure that their exclusive products make their debut.
Shahid Ahmad revealed a few of these titles to be:
- Rogue Legacy, ( PS4 and PS Vita next year)
- The Binding of Isaac (next spring and free to PS Plus members)
- N++ (PS4)
- Volume (PS4 and Vita next year)
- Guns of Icarus Online (PS4)
- Wasteland Kings (PS4 and PS Vita next year
- Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4 and Vita next year
Teasing titles that are yet to be announced by AAA companies, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, and Santa Monica were among those developers mentioned.
Indie games coming to the PlayStation 4:
- The Chinese Room's Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
- Tequila Works Rime's early footage was revealed
- HellDivers will feature cross play with mulitplayer action
- Resogun action shooter
- Shadow of the Beast reimagined for PS4 l
- The Playroom will come preinstalled on the PS4 at launch
A new trailer for inFAMOUS: Second Son by Sucker Punch and some mulitplayer footage for Killzone: Shadow Fall were also shown. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was also demoed, utilizing the PS Vita's Remote Play function. With a smooth transition, the player can move from playing on the PS4 to the PS Vita. Another trailer shown was a new Watch Dogs trailer that showed off some of the four Sony exclusive levels that will offer 60 minutes of additional gameplay and a bonus exclusive hacker suit.
With over twenty video service applications coming to the PlayStation 4, Twitch was announced to be included. Sony's Music Unlimited service will be enhanced with a new interface and two new features that the users have been requesting: the ability to listen to music in background and users will not have to be in the application to control the tracks and volume.
We knew it was coming, as Minecraft was announced to be launching with the PlayStation 4, along with the exclusive free-to-play next gen fighter, War Thunder.
President and Group CEO, Andrew House, closed the conference announcing the 12GB PS3 release with a price tag of $199. House confirmed major titles will offer a significantly discounted price for some AAA titles on the PS4, if purchased for the PS3 as a reward for loyalty while transitioning to a new console.
With one million pre-orders worldwide, the PlayStation 4's release date was announced as November 15, 2013, holding a price tag of $399.