Sony PlayStation 4 held their big New York event for the PS 4 and announced a second screen app that fully integrates with the new game console system. This story was first reported by CNET , Feb. 20, 2013.
The PlayStation App will be a perfectly integrated, brotherly companion to the PlayStation 4 console. This app will be available on Android and iOS devices when the PlayStation 4 is released sometime this holiday season in 2014. The PlayStation App will turn users smartphones into a second screen device, where users can take their PlayStation games on the go.
During the Sony PlayStation New York event they went over the best features the PlayStation App will have to offer:
- Download companion maps to your smartphone while the user is playing an adventure game on the PS 4.
- Remotely watch your friends or coworkers game play.
- Purchase any PlayStation games on the go and have it directly downloaded to the PS 4 console.
- Seamless integration with all mobile devices available.
- View game play videos and game trailers.
- Challenge friends live in real time.
Sony has not announced an official release date for the PlayStation app as of yet. It's very apparent that Sony will have the PlayStation 4, be their newest console that is entirely focused on the online and social media aspect of gaming.