Scripture tells Christians to teach and admonish one another in wisdom, and singing of psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. On Sept. 30, WND Diversions reported that the Christian Australian band, The Sons of Korah, will be doing just that, here in the United States on a six-city tour in October. This famous band has grown popular by bringing fresh voice to the biblical psalms.
Let the message about the Messiah dwell richly among you, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, and singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, with gratitude in your hearts to God (Col. 3:16 HCSB)
Psalms relevant message
The Psalms have been a primary source of worship for both Hebrew and Christian traditions, and The Sons of Korah delivers the words of King David and other psalmists using a variety of musical styles to help people memorize and meditate on Scripture. Many of their songs sound like pop tunes you'd expect to hear on the radio.
The individual palms were originally written as songs, and the Sons of Korah believe they provide an acutely significant message for today. In fact, on their website it says they believe "they are the supreme biblical portrayal of the spiritual life in all its facets and dynamics."
“It’s great to memorize the psalms because I think … the intention of the Book of Psalms is to become part of our prayer-and-worship vocabulary, and memorizing the psalms with music, that is the way to access them." – lead vocalist, Jacoby via WBCL Radio
The psalms were written to be expressed in song, and as the Sons of Korah use music to deliver God's word through song they believe it is the best way to meditate on the words. People who enjoy Sons of Korah CDs flock to their concerts for a real-time blessing. The band's lead vocalist, Jacoby, said: “Obviously, there’s nothing like being in the room at the time, but that journey through the psalms that happens on the spot when we’re actually playing the music there and delivering the text is something that is really special.”
Sons of Korah Midwest U.S.A. tour
For those who would like see The Sons of Korah live, the itinerary includes 5 states:
- Oct. 3 – Brookfield Wisconsin Elmbrook Church Chapel (speaking event only)
- Oct. 4 – Brookfield Wisconsin Elmbrook Church
- Oct. 6 – Harvest Bible Chapel, Kansas City
- Oct. 9 – Grace Community Church – Wisconsin
- Oct. 10 – Christ the Word Church – Toledo Ohio
- Oct. 11 – Upland Community Church in Upland Indiana
- Oct. 13 – Emmanuel Community Church in Fort Wayne Indiana
- Nov. 14 – Woodvale Baptist Church in Woodvale, Washington
- Nov. 15 – Mandurah Baptist Church in Mandurah, Washington
- Nov. 16 – Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Mount Pleasant, Washington
They will return next year for a tour of the Easter states. Check their Facebook page for updates.