At year’s end, it’s traditional to give thanks for all the many blessings received during the previous twelve months and to look forward to the coming year with a renewed sense of optimism.
The following are a few very excellent reasons college-bound students should be giving thanks this year:
- A Common Application that finally works
- FAFSA’s "IRS retrieval tool"
- Permission to guess on Advanced Placement exams
- Colleges offering applicants a choice of applications
- Even more Colleges That Change Lives
- A new SAT (maybe)
- Admissions Matters by Sally Springer et al.
- Canadian Colleges
- Colleges that let you substitute “Graded papers” for essays
- The “Shopping Sheet” prototype for financial aid letters
- Colleges that don’t care where else you applied
- Campus tour guides who master the art of walking backwards
- Growing opportunities for Study Abroad
- Over 850 “test optional” colleges and universities
- Colleges with straightforward "Score Choice" policies
- College Navigator
- Scholarships for volunteers
- Colleges willing to extend deadlines
- A+ colleges for B students
- The freedom to substitute ACT scores for SAT’s
- Internships for high school students
- Free on-campus visitor parking
- The demise of SAT antonym questions—this happened in 1994 but you should continue to be thankful
- Smoke-free colleges
- The Universal College Application
- Teachers and guidance counselors still willing to write recommendations
And most important of all:
Family and friends who support and love you!
Best wishes for a healthy and Happy New Year!