1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. Dogs

Some church members oppose formation of Good Newz Kennels

See also

Surry County, Virginia -- Earlier this month, the rescue organization Dogs Deserve Better announced their hope to transform the former Michael Vick property known as Bad Newz Kennels into a rehabilitation center for dogs that were previously chained or penned.

The new facility would be known as the Good Newz Rehab Center.

The majority of people that have heard about this potential endeavor have greeted it with enthusiasm. They have responded with hope that something good can be made out of something that was previously brutal and ugly.

But then there's the church across the street -- the church with some members who are vowing to do whatever they can to stop Dogs Deserve Better from making the vacant property into a place of healing -- into a place of good.

Those individuals that oppose the potential transformation of the property argue that their place of worship will be diminished by "barking and the smell of poop."

Correspondence has already been sent to representatives of Dogs Deserve Better,

To: Tammy Thayne, Monica Severy, et al:

I see in the Virginian-Pilot that it is your intentions to place a dog pound across the road and directly in front of my place of worship. This is notice that I plan to take every action necessary to see that this does not happen. If you want this activity, put it next to or across the street from your house of worship. Our house of worship has a long and historic past and I don't plan to see it diminished by the noise of dog yelps, poop, etc.

I am quite certain you would not have proposed such in front of a house of worship of predominantly White congregants, so don't propose to do so in our front door because we are a church of Black worshipers.

The arguments from these particular church members are troublesome. Primarily, why would they complain about these things now? Previously, when Michael Vick was running the Bad Newz Kennels, there were fighting dogs at the property.

Evil was literally playing out right before the very eyes of these "concerned" chuch members. Undoubtedly, there was barking, screaming, crying -- as brutal fights were held -- as innocent dogs were killed.

Were the members that oppose the rehabilitation sanctuary opposed to the prior dog-fighting activities? If they did not oppose the prior activities, why would they choose to speak up in opposition to the current proposal?

Why has race been pulled into the argument?

How could individuals claiming to be followers of God decide to put up a fight against a group of people attempting to right the wrongs done to abused dogs? Are dogs not one of God's creatures?

Hopefully those church members in opposition to this proposal will see the light and stop protesting a project backed by love and good intentions. Hopefully other members of the church will speak up in support of the project - perhaps even embrace it as a place to volunteer - to become part of the healing.

The formation of Good Newz Kennels is an opportunity to bring something positive to a space formerly filled with violence.

The formation of Good Newz Kennels provides a chance to dogs that may not have a chance otherwise.

Anyone from this church that feels that the outspoken members in opposition to this proposed venture are not representative of the entire congregation, please email me directly at Eims1@live.com. I would be more than happy to share your words of encouragement for Good Newz Kennels. Thank you.

If you would like to continue receiving dog-related articles, including the latest news, tips and advice, please click the Subscribe Icon. It's free and anonymous. Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing this story with others.

Story ideas can be shared at Eims1@live.com.

Follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook!

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Help needed for dog in the box in Georgia - National Dogs | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-national/help-needed-for-dog-the-box-georgia#ixzz1DaqvSPpr

Comments

• Teresa S 3 years ago

A**holes. They are fighting and complaining about it because you cant make money off of rehabilitating dogs only fighting them.
    Really the Race card that is such BS.
    I wish them all the luck in getting this property for those sweet dogs!

• Profile picture of Katrina Kiefer
    Katrina Kiefer 3 years ago

I have been personally in touch with Tamira Thayne. There is NO evidence that the church is even aware of the single email sent to her by one angry parishioner. Ms. Thayne is not even aware of the church leader's feelings about the shelter. If the comments on this thread continue in this way you all risk making DDB look like the worst possible neighbors to have. Please read the facts before posting one more dangerous word and risking this development by alienating people who may actually be on your side.
    Katrina Kiefer - http://www.examiner.com/pet-news-in-charlottesville/one-church-member-fi...

• Mie Larsen 3 years ago

Wonder how come they didden't complaning about the very same, when Vick had his fightings there??
    Maybee they was a part of that???

• skannerConstant 3 years ago

Use of the Race Card is sure to backfire. The complainer's race happens to be the source of the 'culture' that has supports dog fighting.

• Dawn 3 years ago

You gotta love the fact that she threw in the race card......give me a break! And for God loving people, they certainly obviously don't love all of God's creatures......if they did, they wouldn't be so much contention! Perhaps their Pastor/Reverend/Minister/Priest/Rabbi should explain to them that dogs are part of God's world too!

• piperbaby 3 years ago

Are you serious,lol their pastor/reverend/minister etc and parishioners were probably betting on the fights!

• Ron 3 years ago

Good one!

I think the actions on behalf of the church are premature since the organization has not raised the necessary funds for this center.

• Susanna 3 years ago

The actions are premature - but I have no doubt that DDB will raise the necessary funds.

I just do not understand why these folks were okay with Vick have barking, pooping dogs across the street that were being tortured and killed - but not okay with a reputable rescue group move in to better the community.

I can assure you there will be less barking and more poop scooping going on than when Vick was there...as the dogs will be happy and there will be loads of responsible people maintaining the property.

• Melissa 3 years ago

So from what I understand- It was fine and dandy to have Michael Vick and a place where dogs were being tortured and killed across from their place of worship-but not ok to have a place of healing for deserving animals who have suffered abuse at the hands of people like Michael Vick???
    I agree with Dawn!!
    For "Godly" people who are suppose to promote tolerance and the loving of all "Gods Creatures"--it seems as though they only do so when is convenient for them!
    I wish Dogs Deserve Better all the luck in the world in acquiring this facility!!!

• mel 3 years ago

so I have to wonder- if it had been a WHITE footballer fighting dogs over there, would they have ratted him out? Racism cuts both ways, people.

• Tiff 3 years ago

I agree with you mel...the race card...really...can't we PLEASE get over the race card...WHO CARES WHAT COLOR YOU ARE. Its how you live your life and the person you are in society...NOT YOUR COLOR. So don't make it about your color and we won't have to pay attention to it anymore

• rottsrus 3 years ago

Hmmm . . wasn't there barking and dog poop there before?

• Profile picture of Diane Ciarloni
    Diane Ciarloni 3 years ago

I called the phone number for the church, connected with an answering machine and left a detailed message. I identified myself as a Christian, which I am, and asked if they felt their attitude mirrored the attitude of Christ, who was referred to as the Lamb (an animal, I believe) of the world. Reminded them Christ was surrounded by animals at birth and that both He and John the Baptist spent extended periods of time w/animals. If God did not want animals treated with love and respect, why did He go thru the trouble to create them in the first.

Maybe hundreds, even thousands, of us should call until we either reach a human and/or we fill the entire answering machine's capacity.

Not only was there barking, violence, screaming, and crying, there were the sounds of the gunshots that ultimately ended some of these dogs lives! Yet the scent of poop and the sounds of dogs barking will be troublesome?!?! So what are they trying to say here? Their shit don't stink? Composing my letter right now. Thanks for the address, Penny.

• MARY HOFFMAN 3 years ago

PUBLIC RENT FOLKS--IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE PROPERTY ACROSS THE STREET-----GET OFF YOUR FAT ASSES AND BUY IT----DO AS YOU PLEASE WITH IT!

• Marilyn 3 years ago

Where were all of these so-called kind, loving, tolerant compassionate "christians" when Vick was torturing dogs across the street? Was there no smell of dog poop, no barking? Where were they when all of the scum was going there to watch these poor dogs get torn to pieces? Sounds to me as if they were on a friendly basis with them. They are nothing but hypocrites. Shame on these pretentious people of God. I guess they have forgotten that our animals are his creation.

• Deb 3 years ago

WOW! So I guess as long as you are black you can do what you want..including the murder of innocent dogs but if you are white and want to do something good the answer is no way??? THE NOISE AND POOP WERE THERE ALL ALONG! This makes me sick.

• Tessa 3 years ago

But it was okay when a successful black athlete was allowing his drug addicted, drug dealing, gun toting, hoodlum friends to run a supposed "dog boarding" business there? HMMM! Who is the racist one here?

• Jody Provost-Dog Lover and Rescue Supporter 3 years ago

Let me clarify something. Being BLACK OR WHITE has NOTHING TO DO with saving dogs! I am white, raised Catholic, and YES-I not only would support the Good Newz Kennels across the street from any place or worship I happened to bother attending, but also across the street from my HOUSE where I live!

I cannot believe someone who claims to attend a place of GOD has the audacity to bring race into an issue where it has no place at all. Think about it-DOGS HAVE NO RACE! They do not care if you are black or white, they do not care if you are rich or poor, all they care about is if you treat them with kindness and love them. If a place is properly run, it will not smell or have a lot of barking with a supportive staff. This goes to show the IGNORANCE that is abound by people such as the person who made the above statements and how they need to be pulled into the 21st century where playing the race card continues to SEPARATE all of us!

I am thoroughly disgusted with this place and they can go ahead and plan on preventing it-I will plan on helping make it happen! NETWORK this people!

• terry mcmillan 3 years ago

Touche, Jody! I agree with you 100%. These so-called Christian people are acting very unChristian-like IMO. They should be glad that God's creatures are being nurtured and taken care of. Instead, they are acting like total idiots! I despise the ways of church people who go through the motions of being Christians, but whose actions do not follow. What a bunch of losers!!!

• dawn from florida 3 years ago

Very well said my dear...bravo!

• Profile picture of AprilB1973
    AprilB1973 3 years ago

I agree. I'd actually love to have a dog rescue across the street from my house, particularly run by a responsible organization like DDB. I'd be over there every day playing with and walking the dogs. My favorite part of every day is hanging out with my guys and scritching their soft ears and bellies!

• TGtrek in Florida 3 years ago

Just shows you how ignorant some people can be , using the Race card is really over the top here , I guess these church goers feel if you is black then anything is ok in there book ,but if you is white ,get out of my neighborhood , Wow ,Martin Luther King would be real proud of you black folk.... and God can only look down shake his head in disgust.

• just_sayin 3 years ago

I would be alot concerned for the safety of the animals about having a dog faciltiy across the street from people with this mentality

• Kriss R 3 years ago

That is a valid point.

• Deb 3 years ago

As a black person, who rescues dogs and was raised christian, I am beyond disgusted by that letter. What is wrong with that person. Do they speak for the entire church group? I can only say wow I guess ignorance is bliss.

• JoAnne 3 years ago

I live for the day when every human on earth identifies as being members of the human race. It grieves me more than one can know of the lack of respect and admiration we humans withhold based on race, color, religion and income. It makes NO difference whatsoever if one was raised Christian or any other religion provided each individual has compassion and respect for ALL living things. At 73, I doubt I will see this much needed coming together of America.

• luv4allanimals 3 years ago

I've been reading all these comments & can't agree more. Why race is even brought up is just plain ignorance & just another ploy to act like black people are being looked down on or not considered equals in society. As far as i am concerned (i'm white), we're all equals, color doesn't even fit into the equation. That was a very ignorant statement on the church's pat. I like Deb's opinion, i'm glad a black person stepped up here & said something. You sound like a good person, someone i'd be friends with if i had you as a neighbor or whatever. I've never known blacks personally because there are hardly any around where i live, but i have nothing against any race.The only thing i'm against is stupidity on the part of that church for their feelings for animals. Like so many of you said, animals are all of God's creation, so i guess they're just part-time Christians. To me, you love all of creation, even if you don't like some of it, like say, snakes, reptiles & such, but you shouldn't be against a group of people wanting to do good & provide very much needed services for the animals.

How many of those black worshippers do you think attended the dog fights at this place?

• another_thing 3 years ago

I would be willing to bet that Mr. Vick was a HUGE money contributor to this so called church! And that is why they were so willing to "turn the other cheek"!

• Jennifer 3 years ago

You are probably right. $$$ usually shuts people up pretty good.

Anybody that's able to work in the word "poop" into a sentence about their house of worship lacks any real credibility (but can certainly string together a phrase).

God must be proud....

so, they did not mind listening to dogs dying or being hurt to the point of almost dying? And it was ok because it was vick across the street doing bad?

• Elizabeth Nadler 3 years ago

These church people - how very 'Christian' of them.....

They could take a lesson from any dogs at the park - they don't care if their playmates are of the same breed - they just want to have fun.

That's why we have so many mutts. My sister's dog is half poodle and half basset hound, and he is not only one of the most adorable creatures I have ever seen, he has an absolutely golden disposition!

I'm so sick of people trying to create divisiveness where none really exists....

• Yvonne Boudreaux 3 years ago

You mean to tell me there was a CHURCH across the street whose congregants most certainly knew what was going on and DID NOT do anything for these defenseless animals???? I'm so sorry to say.... not only do they NOT have jurisdiction over property they don't own, but SCREW them!

This is just one more reason to fight even harder to make this happen for the dogs. What a bunch of backwards-ass, hypocritical crybabies. Ridiculous!!

YOU GO, DOGS DESERVE BETTER! WE ARE BEHIND YOU! WE ARE BEHIND YOU! WE ARE BEHIND YOU!

• JoAnne 3 years ago

WHAT THE HELL DOES RACE HAVE TO DO WITH IT??? Since this writer identifies herself as a member of a "Black Church" I should think they would be proud to help establish such a kennel (definitely not a dog pound) ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that the most DESPISED human in America, Michael Vick, a Black man, owned one of the most heinous dog fighting operations in America ACROSS THE STREET FROM THEIR "Christian(???)" CHURCH. They should be proud to rectify the evil this evil man perpetrated if for nothing else BECAUSE he is a member of their race. They should acknowledge the fact that he was disgraced. That he is an embarassment to the educated members of the Black race, AND THE HUMAN RACEand their church is Black and they obviously never lifted a finger to call anyone to help expose this miserable activity.

• Cas UK 3 years ago

Well said JoAnn, I hope DDB win, chances are the people and chruch turned a blind eye to what those poor dogs were going through when Vick owned the house and grounds.

• Lore Dasse 3 years ago

Are you kidding me what is wrong with these people? I agree Vick must have gave the church a lot of hush money well on behalf of Animals that can't speak I will fight right next to DDB to help make this happen.....And to you the church member the race card should never have been played God is so proud of you I just know there is a check mark next to your name that sends you straight to He--

what would jesus do? bunch of hypocrites!!

• Rott-N-Pitt 3 years ago

Those so called christians are probably bitchin because they can't step out of church, go across the street and place their bets any longer. SHAME ON THEM

• Ron 3 years ago

Praise the lord and pass the hat.
    These good ole church goers are full of c---p.

Hmmm...it makes you wonder.....perhaps the church was benefiting from Vick being there with his "ring of horrors"? They're probably mad that they're not getting "donations" anymore and are under the assumption that this new facility won't donate to them.

• Karen NZ 3 years ago

Sigh. They're just self-serving, racist God-botherers. Nothing christian about that attitude.
    By far the vast majority of right-thinking folk will be right behind DDB.

• mo 3 years ago

How distressing..I would make sure those pups were very secure..because churches like that one have a lot of weird people ........who think are doing the masses a favor..race has nothing to do with it,so loose that notion..it is a group of fine people who desire to save gods creatures...

• Karen Barrett 3 years ago

Small-minded and selfish. They liked it better when a famous black football player was abusing and killing dogs across the street?

• Judy` 3 years ago

I am so sick of the race card being used. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with savage human beings regardless of color. What is wrong with these so called Christians? What's the issue. After all, they tolerated the goings on of a dog fighting ring, why not support something good? I am sick to death of hypocrites.

• Martha 3 years ago

They do not care about good acts when that monster (vick) was living there torturing dogs why did not complain? The idea of making that home a shelter for abuse dogs will make them remember they did wrong and they do not like it.

I have to say that, from a distance, the majority of these comments sound cynical and extremely prejudiced. Who knows how the original kennel got started?--it probably wasn't a case of someone making a plea to start up a dog facility. The guy probably let it grow and get out of hand. I don't know what the situation really is in that neighborhood, but I go to a church in a small town up north here, and there is one--got that? only one--dog that lives across the street. It is a non-stop barker. Granted, winter isn't bad, but in the summer, with church windows open, that single non-stop barking dog is a nuisance. Usually, at least up here, kennels are not in places where the noise would be a nuisance. Hopefully the good-hearted people who want to start the nice facility will find a better place, where they can start out compassionately on the right foot with people as well as with dogs. Do any of the negative commenters have a vacant place next door to their own home, where they can enjoy the sounds of many dogs in the privacy of their own homes, instead of complaining about what other people should be willing to listen to?

Pages