Solar Santa Monica - Part of the 15x15 Climate Action Plan Programs.
Why use solar energy? There are many benefits to using solar energy:
- It is a clean source of energy.
- Solar energy lowers environmental impact.
- Solar is a renewable energy will not run out.
- There is decreased dependence on outside resources.
- Its a FREE resource!
- Using solar energy will save you lots of money!!
A single air force base in Nevada saved $83,000 a month since switching to solar.
Solar Santa Monica is One of the CAP (Climate action Plan) 15x15 programs. The objective of Solar Santa Monica is to administer a support system and process for business and consumers interested in solar energy.
The program focuses on three measures:
- Energy efficiency in existing buildings.
- construction of high performance new buildings.
- renewable energy generation.
Measure 1 increases the energy efficiency of new buildings to perform 10% better than the 2013 Title 24 standards. Statewide programs that were set up to aid in these goals are the residential program is Energy Upgrade California and for Commercial the focus will be to establish policies that will require large buildings to disclose how much energy they use.
Measure 2 will reduce energy use city wide by 1 million kwh annually with the use of the Disclosure program, the (PACE) Property Assessed Clean Energy Program, construction of high performance new buildings and the Santa Monica building green ordinance.
Measure 3 will Increase solar capacity by 500 kw annually by using
Renewable Energy Generation and promoting energy efficiency and solar power in the community
At this time there are 400 grid connected solar projects. These Projects provide more than 3 megawatts of solar capacity.
by 2020 33% of utility-supplied electricity will come from renewable resources.
The ongoing process to switch to solar energy is paying off. The U.S. supply of solar power had doubled from 2008 to 2012, reducing solar energy installation costs by more than 30%, employing more than 100,000 people in all 50 states and several territories.
Solar is becoming more and more affordable as new technologies become available.
There are some Complex issues surrounding solar:
- Calculating your investment return
- Grid interactions (Net-Metering)
- Building Permits
Fortunately the city of Santa Monica has comprised a website to help with everything! Solar Santa Monica
Smgov.net has set up a process to make the process much easier for the consumer. If you are interested in the idea of solar here is the overall solar process:
- Find an installer
- investigate solar financing
- apply for incentive program
- complete permitting process
- interconnect to utility
- submit incentive claim
If you need help finding a contractor? Follow this link: http://www.smgov.net/Departments/OSE/Categories/Energy/Solar/Find_a_Contractor.aspx
Need help with financing? Here is a link to a pdf that will help with all the details:
Here are some links to CALIFORNIA Incentives/Policies for Renewables & Efficiency - http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/index.cfmre=0&ee=0&spv=0&st=0&srp=1&state=CA&printable=1
- City of Santa Monica - Building Permit Fee Waiver for Solar Projects
- City of Santa Monica - Expedited Permitting for Green Buildings
State Rebate Programs:
- California Solar Initiative - Low-Income Solar Water Heating Rebate Program
- California Solar Initiative - Multi-Family Affordable Solar Housing (MASH) Program
- California Solar Initiative - PV Incentives
- California Solar Initiative - Single-Family Affordable Solar Housing (SASH) Program
- California Solar Initiative - Solar Thermal Program
- CEC - New Solar Homes Partnership
- Energy Upgrade California
- Self-Generation Incentive Program
Solar energy is a free clean renewable resource and we have just started to scratch the surface of its possibilities. if you need more information please visit the solar santa monica website at http://www.smgov.net/Departments/OSE/categories/solar.aspx
Go Solar Santa Monica - http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/resources/socal_jurisdictions/cities/Santa_Monica.pdf
Solar Santa Monica - http://www.smgov.net/Departments/OSE/categories/solar.aspx
Solar Santa Monica provides a list of preferred solar contractors: http://solarsantamonica.com/contractors.html
The History of Solar - Office of Energy Efficiency -- http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/pdfs/solar_timeline.pdf
Why is renewable energy important? - http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/tech/why
Energy.gov - Office of Energy Efficency and Renerable Energy - http://energy.gov/eere/renewables/solar
Incentives/Policies for Renewables & Efficiency - http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/index.cfm?re=0&ee=0&spv=0&st=0&srp=1&state=CA
Wikipedia Solar Energy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_energy