Canvas.com just announced today, October 13, that they beginning tomorrow, they will be opening a free college class through the University of California, Irvine based upon the AMC zombie hit, "The Walking Dead". The class is titled, "Society, Science, Survival" Lesson's from the AMC's The Walking Dead" and begins tomorrow and lasts until December 21.
The class focuses on understanding social identities by using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs while also looking at the show from a medical standpoint by looking at "The Walking Dead" as a model for spreading disease in general.
The class is led by four faculty members at the University of California with degrees ranging from social sciences, physics, public health and math. This interdisciplinary class will offer the following course competencies:
- Describe how infectious diseases—like a zombie epidemic—spread and are managed
- Apply various models of society and Maslow’s hierarchy of needs to existing and emerging societies as a means for understanding human behavior
- Analyze existing social roles and stereotypes as they exist today and in an emerging world
- Debate the role of public health organizations in society
- Describe how mathematical equations for population dynamics can be used to study disease spread and interventions
- Apply concepts of energy and momentum appropriately when analyzing collisions and other activities that either inflict or prevent damage
- Summarize multiple methods for managing stress in disaster situations
Topics range from the following:
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs—is survival just about being alive?
- Social order and structures—from the farm and the prison to Woodbury
- Social identity, roles, and stereotyping—as shown through leaders like Rick and the Governor
- The role of public health in society—from the CDC to local community organizations
- The spread of infectious disease and population modeling—swarm!
- The role of energy and momentum in damage control—how can you best protect yourself?
- Nutrition in a post-apocalyptic world—are squirrels really good for you?
- Managing stress in disaster situations—what’s the long-term effect of always sleeping with one eye open?
If you would like to sign up for this class then visit their website here. Would you sign up for a class like this? What other classes would like for them to offer? Please comment below.