Social Networking Sites Strain Marriages

According to a local New Hampshire couple, Facebook has allowed the husband to reconnect with a high school sweetheart after 12 years of marriage causing a blow to their relationship. As taken from the WMUR news article the wife stated,

We had a strong marriage, and I think he would have tried to work things out instead of going to the first woman who he hooks up with on Facebook and take off.

With technology advancing and social networking sites taking off with high popularity one would think temptation was bound to happen in one form or another. Reality is you can connect with old flames by running into them at the grocery store, it's just that Facebook has opened the doors to communicating with long lost flames in a more personal and discreet manner. Social networking sites have become a support system for stay at home mothers and married couples everywhere who lack the in real life adult communication humans yearn for.

Has Social Networking Caused Wrecked Marriages?

Facebook in general can cause a lot of jealousy stemmed from misunderstanding and addiction to the site itself, however, when you look deep into the core of a relationship deteriorating the basis would not have started with Facebook. Once a relationship has hit a point where the two are facing troubles, having lack of communication and urges to flee, Facebook simply becomes an outlet for the troubled partner to release their feelings. This seems to be simply just another case of the blame game, where a couple wants to blame an outside source for the cause of their marriage failing. Although social networking sites open up doors to connecting with old flames, that yearning to connect with an old flame in such a destructive manner would not have happened if the married couple were communicating in a healthy way.

The simple answer is that social networking sites may cause a strain on a relationship due to insecurities and jealousy, but the main place to point blame for a relationship ending would be the couple themselves. When asked "are these Facebook connections the cause or the result of a struggling relationship?", Nashua's Dr. Carl Hindly replied,

First, it's a good idea to let your partner know who you're friending. If you're not sharing it with your partner because you know he or she is going to be upset by it, well, that should be a red flag you ought to think twice about doing it.

There you have it, no exact answer on whether social networking sites are to be blamed for straining marriages but they certainly are playing a part in marriage troubles and personal insecurities.

Comments

• Shawn Ann 4 years ago

Good article, Brandy! I can see this happening in a lot of marriages.

• Audrey 4 years ago

I've read over and over how reconnecting with an old flame, even from 20 or 30 years ago can destroy marriages. Nice article.

• Deal-ectible Mom 4 years ago

My husband has felt this way for so long, in fact he refuses to even go on Facebook. I have had plenty of requests from past relationships and have to deny all of them. I don't even want to go there again. I can see how the Facebook thing can take a twisted turn in the wrong direction.

• Beeb Ashcroft 4 years ago

People are quick to blame the latest trend for social problems - but the bottom line is, if you have a strong marriage, hearing from an "old flame" would be inconsequential - weather it was running into them at a party or friending them on Facebook.

• Louise 4 years ago

I completely agree, social networking does make it easier to meet people but it's the relationship that had to be in trouble in the first place.

• Night Owl Mama 4 years ago

being in many social networks I can see many couples who have troubles in one area or another because of posts made by the opposite sex that are not ment the way they are taken or mean something that shouldn't of been said. SO sad really thanks for the post

• Shop with Me Mama (Kim) 4 years ago

Great post! I think that it "could" help destroy a marriage, but think that the marriage has to be a little shaky already in the first place.

• Erin Pyle - Baltimore Children's Toy Examiner 4 years ago

I think the relationship has to have problems in the first place. If you really love your partner, an old flame on fb wouldn't even be thought about twice. I honestly have never even considered that my husband could be doing something I would be upset over on social networking and he says he never thought about it either. We trust each other and are secure in our marriage.

Now with that said I did have 1 ex in high school and 1 in college that cheated. BOTH of them used social networking (email, aim) to pursue their... extra curricular activities. I started to get an idea something was happening and broke it off based on my gut feeling. It wasn't until afterwards I found out what they were up to. I couldn't understand why they did it. Apparently they were not happy in the relationship and were looking for something else. I wish they would have just broke up with me! Sadly, I think social media made it easier for them to find somebody else without having to risk me leaving first.

• Penelope 4 years ago

I've seen broken marriages as a result of facebook, and had two men who pursued me years ago while in college (both married today) try to reach out to me after all these years. This is definately opening doors that really should not be opened.

• Stacie Connerty 4 years ago

I have to agree with Kate about the marriage already being a little shaky to begin with.

I found an ex on Facebook. It was great to connect, find out how he had been over the years and now we say hello maybe once or twice a year. Hasn't made one difference in my relationship.