There’s a new geo-location social networking and dating app in town called Blendr.
Whether you want to expand your social network, make new friends, fall in love, or find a date, Los Angeles based dating app Grindr will help you widen your search.
Originally named “Project Amicus,” the official iOS app launched today with much anticipation. Grindr, the largest and most popular gay and lesbian app with over 2 million downloads in almost 200 countries worldwide, has taken their formula for success to a new level expanding their membership base to every orientation.
Users can sign up on Facebook or download their free app on the iTunes store and select whether they want to import their location status or keep it private while filling their your profiles with their favorite hobbies, movies, and other interests.
You'll have the option to select your orientation from straight, gay/lesbian, or bi as well as pick among the wide variety of relationship status choices including Civil Union, Complicated, Dating, Divorced, Domestic Partnership, Engaged, In a Relationship, Married, Open, Separated, Widowed, Single, or just leave it blank.
Blendr CEO Joel Simkhai says, “Smartphones and location-based services have completely transformed social interactions for everyone and we’ve taken our learning’s from Grindr on creating an incredibly engaging consumer experience and loaded it with the most comprehensive privacy features to give users total control of how they want to interact within the Blendr community.”
Some key features include:
- Browse for users by location, your favorites, those you’ve chatted with recently or those currently online.
- Tap a photo to check out user profiles, photos, interests, and more.
- Filter users by interest categories, such as Entertainment, Sports, Language, Profession, and more.
- Check-in to nearby venues and keep up on the trending spots by seeing who and how many Blendr users have also checked in to help decide whether to venture there by seeing where people are (iOS only).
- Start a private instant message conversation via Blendr chat.
- Check your new friends' latest photos and status updates.
- And directly update your status on other social networks, like Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare, within Blendr, making it even easier and more convenient to stay connected.
Are you ready to open your personal life to include your local whereabouts? Are you interested in expanding your social network of friends?
Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
Julie Spira is an online dating expert who writes about the marriage of love and technology. She's the author of the bestseller, The Perils of Cyber-Dating. Visit her at CyberDatingExpert.com for dating advice and follow Julie on Twitter @JulieSpira and at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert and Facebook.com/RulesofNetiquette