The Social Media Breakfast-Minneapolis/St. Paul (SMBMSP) will be kicking off 2013 in style.The event scheduled for Jan. 1, 2013-the SMBMSP#53-will invite ABC veteran news producer to discuss how news divisions leverage social media during breaking news events at Best Buy HQ.
The information to be presented is how these news entities harness their reach across the masses through different social media channels. In particular, how the the ABC’s social desk carries out its day-to-day functions and how it goes about it to monitor the different happenings.
Three events that will be heavily discussed during the presentation-in terms of ABC’s social media news gathering-is the coverage of Hurricane Sandy, Election 2012 and the tragic shootings in Connecticut.
The events hosted by SMBMSP offer an opportunity to come together and come away with a clear vision on how social media is carried out. Learning the tools and being able to share them within the community of the Twin Cities.
For details on the on the event and registration please click here.
About Dennis Powell
Dennis Powell currently holds the Managing Senior Producer for ABC News “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” and also oversees the Social Media Newsgathering position. With ABC he has held previously the role of producer, editor, and video tape editor.
- Create Social Media newsgathering unit, covering multiple sites, services, and sources
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for social media usage including ethical guidelines
- Develop tools utilizing social media to monitor beats, coverage areas, candidates, and follow trends and breaking news stories
- Develop and implement a training program for news division personnel on strategic use of social media for newsgathering
- Change culture to realize the power and potential of social media as a news-gathering tool
- Develop guidelines for verifying reliability of and usage rules for social media content