With the severe snowstorm approaching toward the end of this week, it is important that homes are properly prepared. Effective responses to cold weather conditions can reduce some of the effects caused by winter’s weather challenges. The following measures can be effective in dealing with the effects of severe winter weather:
• Snow removal equipment should be serviced and ready for action.
• Rock salt should be on hand to melt ice on walkways.
• All walls and attics should be properly insulated.
• Doors and windows should be caulked and weather-stripped.
• Storm windows should be installed or plastic coverings should be used on windows from the inside.
• Ample supply of wood should be available for fireplaces.
• Safe portable space heaters should be used for drafty areas.
• Water pipes should be wrapped in insulation or layers of old newspapers to prevent freezing.
• Faucets should be allowed to drip to avoid freezing.
• It should be known how to locate and shut off water valves.
• Extra disaster supplies such as flashlights, battery-operated radio, extra batteries, a first aid kit and sleeping bags should be handy.
• Emergency plan in case family members are separated from one another should be known by every person in the household, including children.
• Children should know how and when to dial 9-1-1 and which radio station to tune into for emergency information.
Many unfavorable situations can be avoided if these procedures are implemented in the home.
Bear mauls man
A very lucky man escapes with his life after a brutal attack.How he survived