A series of Lake Tahoe snow storms hit the region this week and dumped as much as 40 inches at one resort and more than 2 feet of snow at many of Lake Tahoe’s ski resorts.
There should be more snow on the way in the Lake Tahoe region for skiing and snowboarding. But the next few days should only produce a light amount of snowfall, according to the National Weather Service, which is reporting a 40 percent chance of snow today and 30 percent Sunday. Temperatures today should range from the mid-40s daytime to mid-20s at night.
It was a timely snow for Squaw Valley ski resort, which this week is hosting the second round of the Rahlves’ Banzai Tour. Squaw received 8 inches of new snow on Friday and has added 30 inches from the storm.
“The KT-22 Banzai is always one of the most exciting parts of the tour because of the great view of the course from the base of the mountain,” said Olympic skier Daron Rahlves, the race founder. “Spectators get to watch athletes give it their all down the face of KT-22, which embodies everything the Banzai Tour is really about; the competition, athleticism, and most importantly, the enjoyment and camaraderie of the ski and snowboard community.”
Kirkwood Mountain received 13-18 inches Friday and 40 inches overall from the storm, which began Wednesday night and has dumped 40 inches at the ski resort off Highway 88.
Off Highway 50 heading into South Lake Tahoe, Sierra-at-Tahoe was reporting 10 inches of new snow and 28 inches overall from the storm. Nearby Heavenly Mountain got 20 inches from the storm.
Both Boreal Mountain and Sugar Bowl ski resort also got hit hard with 30 inches from the storm.
No one is happier about the recent snow than Donner Ski Ranch, which is located off Interstate 80 on Historic Highway 40 at Donner Summit. Closed for much of January and parts of February as well, including last week, Donner Ski Ranch reopened today with five lifts running and up to a foot of fresh snow.
National Weather Service report:
• Today: Scattered rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
• Tonight: A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
• Sunday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
• Sunday night: A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
• Monday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
• Monday night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Lake Tahoe Snow Report for Saturday, March 1
New Snow: 5-8"
Snow depth: 39-68"
Location: Highway 89, six miles west of Tahoe City
New Snow: 9"
Snow depth: 55"
Location: Interstate 80 at Donner Summit
New Snow: 6"
Snow depth: 54"
Location: Highway 431, Incline Village
DONNER SKI RANCH
New Snow: 6"
Snow depth: not available
Location: Old Highway 40, Donner Summit
New Snow: 5"
Snow depth: 12"
Location: Highway 89, Tahoe City
New Snow: 9"
Base snow depth: 52"
Location: Ski Run Boulevard in South Lake Tahoe
HOMEWOOD MOUNTAIN RESORT
New Snow: 6-14"
Base snow depth: 20-50"
Location: Highway 89, six miles south of Tahoe City
New Snow: 13-18"
Snow depth: 72"
Location: Highway 88 in Kirkwood
New Snow: 3-4"
Snow depth: 24-56"
Location: Mt. Rose Highway in Reno
New Snow: 3-7"
Snow depth: 25-66"
Location: Highway 267 near Truckee
New Snow: 10"
Location: Highway 50, 12 miles west of South Lake Tahoe
New Snow: 6"
Snow depth: 35"
Location: Location: Interstate 80, Soda Springs exit
New Snow: 8"
Snow depth: 22-74"
Location: Highway 89, six miles from Tahoe City
New Snow: 6-9"
Snow depth: 37-71"
Location: Interstate 80, Norden exit
New Snow: not available
Snow depth: 6-10"
Location: Donner State Park exit off Interstate 80, Northwoods Boulevard