In today's mobile society you cellular phones have become a necessity. We carry them everywhere we go all day so that we don't miss calls, can tweet our friends and take pictures. When we get home our obsession with our cellular phones continues going as far as taking them to bed with us were we often use them as our wake up alarm. One 13-year old girl in Texas found that sometimes to obsession get be dangerous when the smartphone she put under her pillow.
'I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep and then I woke up again and it was more prominent,' Ariel Tolfree said.
When she lifted her pillow she was shocked to find that her smartphone had a meltdown that destroyed the phone and scorching the pillowcase and sheet where that came in contact with the device. Ariel showed her parents what happened. After they recovered their shock at the sight and what could have happened, the family contact Samsung about what took place. The person they spoke to at Samsung was quick to point out to them that the problem was likely the fault of the replacement third-party battery.
After talking to Samsung the Tolfree family took their stort to the local news station to let more people know about what could happen to anyone taking their phone to bed.
"The whole phone melted," her father, Thomas, told FOX 4 in Dallas. "The plastic, the glass. You can't even really tell it was a phone."
When the new station contacted Samsung they explained that they do put out a warning with every smartphone that warns against using third-party replacements and confining their smartphones in tight clothing on under pillows. Samsung also said that they felt bad for what happened and would replace the phone, mattress, sheets, pillowcase and pillow. They did ask the family to send them the melted remains of the phone so that they could fully investigate and figure out if their suspicions are correct or if they need to make any changes.
Other article you might also want to read on this topic are the following: