By: Tiffany Freeman
It’s the first official week of January and a “Polar Vortex” has made its presents throughout the Midwest and East coast. Today in Washington, DC it will only reach a high of 17 degrees! My suggestions…stay home, stay warm, and stay full with a hearty hot meal! A recipe that most bring out during this type of weather is their family’s famous chili recipe. A chili recipe that tastes amazing is the Crockpot pulled pork chili from Howsweeteats.com. Try it; I guarantee it will become a staple in your house during the winter months. Good Eats!
Crockpot Pulled Pork Chili
• 1 (2.5 lbs) pork shoulder
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 8 oz. of beer
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 shallot, diced
• ½ red bell pepper, chopped
• ½ green bell pepper, chopped
• 1 (28 oz.) can tomato puree
• 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
• ¼ cup tomato paste
• 2 (14 oz.) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 4 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Season pork shoulder with sugar, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Place the pork in the crockpot and add the beer. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
2. Shred the pork using forks or kitchen tongs, removing any bones. Add the garlic, shallot, peppers, tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and remaining spices.
3. Mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for at least 4 hours (it can cook up to 8).
4. Before serving, season to taste. Enjoy!
1. Howsweeteats.com. 2013. Crockpot Pulled Pork Chili, http://www.howsweeteats.com/2013/11/crockpot-pulled-pork-chili/. (accessed on January 03, 2014)