April 1, 2014
The slow cooker is a welcome shortcut to a hot and nutritious meal at the end of a long day. This recipe includes all of the sides, as well. A piece of fresh, crusty bread will top off the meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetables
- 3 medium carrots, halves lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (3 to 4 pounds) broiler/fryer chicken
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Place carrots, celery and potatoes in slow cooker. Toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place lemon halves and crushed garlic into chicken cavity.
- Tuck wings under the chicken and tie drumsticks together with string.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine rosemary, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika and remaining salt. Rub mixture over the chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or until meat thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180° and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker onto serving platter. Tent with aluminum foil and allow to stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve with vegetables.
Serves 4 to 6.