This September update covers professional ballplayers signed from Salt Lake Community College and Utah Valley University. At the start of the 2013 season, approximately 34 Utah ballplayers had been signed by professional baseball teams in the MLB, MiLB, international and independent leagues.
To keep up with Utah ballplayer signings, stats, assignments and other news during the season, check back at the beginning of each month. Also, to review players’ stats and updates from past seasons, use the keyword search “Utah ballplayers.”
Here is a legend for the information listed below:
Name (Position), Organization
Team (Level) Stats to date
Salt Lake Community College
John Holdzkom (RHP), Amarillo Sox
Amarillo Sox (IND) 3.50 ERA, 34 G, 36.0 IP, 1.722 WHIP
Sioux City Explorers (IND) .000 ERA, 8 G, 7.2 IP, 1.304 WHIP
● Holdzkom is currently listed on the Canberra Cavalry roster of the Australian Baseball League; their opening day is October 31.
Dominique Taylor (OF), Kansas City Royals
Idaho Falls Chukars (R) .322 AVE, 62, 233 AB, 8 HR, 37 RBI
● Taylor had quite the first season in pro ball, finishing second on the team in homeruns, fifth in batting average, and sixth in runs batted in and slugging percentage.
● The Chukars went all the way, winning the Pioneer League Championship title by beating the Helena Brewers in the best-of-three series, 2-1.
Utah Valley University
Goose Kallunki (3B), Rio Grand Valley Whitewings
Rio Grande Valley Whitewings (IND) .240 AVE, 28 G, 104 AB, 2 HR, 16 RBI
Taylor Mangum (RHP), Milwaukee Brewers
Brevard County Manatees (Adv-A) 5.09 ERA, 7 G, 23.0 IP, 1.478 WHIP, .283 BAA
Kam Mickolio (RHP), Hiroshima Carp
Hiroshima Carp (NPB) 2.04 ERA, 56 G, 56.1 IP, 1.207 WHIP
● Mickolio and the Carp are fighting for a playoff spot in the Central Division of the Nippon Professional Baseball league, with six games left to play in the regular season.
● Mickolio is ranked third in the Central Division in earned run average and saves (27 SV).