Today’s recipe feature is Skinny Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins. There’s no guilt here with a bunch of healthy ingredients. A bit of honey and brown sugar help to sweeten the muffins and a little Greek yogurt helps make them moist. The recipe’s author says, “The chocolate chips are optional, but necessary.” I’ll let you decide. Here’s to healthy snacking!
Skinny Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins (Recipe courtesy Sally’s Baking Addiction)
- 2 ripe large bananas, mashed with no chunks
- ¼ cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup 0% Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk)
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter (non-oily natural style is OK)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour (or an even mix of whole wheat + all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter, melted
Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, honey, brown sugar, yogurt, egg, and milk together until combined. Whisk in the peanut butter and vanilla extract until smooth and thick. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips together (if using). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and lightly whisk until combined. Try not to over stir the muffin batter or your muffins will have a tough (not soft) texture. Stir as little as possible until no flour pockets remain.
Fill the muffin cups practically all the way to the top. Between ¾ full and all the way full. See photo above for a visual. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F degrees. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue to bake for 12 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Drizzle muffins with melted peanut butter if desired. Muffins stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days. Muffins without peanut butter on top freeze well, up to 3 months. Yield = 12 muffins.