December 5, 2013
The ski season opened with a bang a couple of weeks ago then came warmer weather, scaring people off. Don’t give up. There is plenty of skiing out there and here is a list of who is open in New Hampshire.
- Bretton Woods: on Route 302 in Bretton Woods NH. Bretton Woods is open with a base of 10-20” and 18 of 62 trails available. 3 lifts are open. $59 adult, $49 teen
- Cannon Mountain: at the head of Franconia Notch parkway (I-93). Cannon added lots of new snowmaking last summer. Cannon is also showing 10-20” base with 11 of 73 trails open. 4 lifts are operating. $39 adult, $35 teen.
- Cranmore Mountain: Within walking distance of downtown North Conway, Cranmore has a base of 10-20”. From Dec. 7 until Dec. 19 Cranmore will only be open weekends, see their schedule. 17 of 57 trails open and 4 of 7 lifts but expect this number to change upward week to week.
- Loon Mountain: Straight up I-93, turn right just before Franconia Notch onto Route 112, the Kamcamagus Highway. Loon has 21 trail open out of 61 and is showing a base of 6-12” with 4 lifts open. $59 adults, $49 teen.
- Mount Sunapee: Look for Mt Sunapee on the western side of the state. I-93 north to I89 west, then Rte 103 west. Sunapee, one of the best, has 17 of 66 trails open with 4 lifts up and running. Their base is reported at 10-20”. $48 adults, $38 teens and Sr.
- Ragged Mountain: I-93 to exit 24 and Route 104 west. Ragged has added significant snowmaking capacity and is reporting 12-24” of base. They report 4 trails and 3 lifts open with more coming all the time.$39 Adult, $29 teen, $29 child & Sr.
- Waterville Valley: Shoot up I-93 to exit 28 and take Route 49 north to Waterville. A great family area with all of the lodging, dining and sports attractions to keep the whole family happy, even non-skiers. Waterville has 14 of 52 trails open with 3 of 11 lifts operating. $55 adult, $45 teen, $35 kids and Seniors.
- Gunstock Mountain: take I-93 north to Exit 20, following Route 11 and the signs to Gunstock. Easy to get to and offering a great diversity of trails and parks. Gunstock plans to open December 6 with a base of 12-24” and 14 trails open.
- Pat’s Peak: Perhaps the easiest to get to for that opening run. Take I-93 north to *( west, getting off at Route 202 to Henniker. Pat’s was open, closed and reopens for the season December 7 with a reported base of 6-12”.
- Black Mountain: Black is in Jackson and is a wonderful family area with diverse trails. It anticipates opening at an undetermined time in December, stay tuned.
- King Pine: In Madison NH, King Pine is part of family oriented Purity Spring Resort. It is a small mountain but one with a lot to offer from beginner to a really scary black diamond. It also has skating, cross country and other options. Purity reports a base of 12-24” and plans to open December 13.