If you miss playing in the mountains you love during the winter, try hiking around them in the summer. During the summer, you will get to experience the mountains and take in that all to familiar view. You will be dazzled with wildflowers and greenery.
If you are new to hiking, here are a couple of tips that can make the most out of your adventure.
- Wear the right shoes. Hiking boots or trail running shoes help provide traction on the uneven, mountainous terrain. Make sure you break in your shoes before your hike. The trail is not the place to break them in, unless you want blisters and you are a glutton for punishment.
- Hike in the morning. The weather can change quickly in the mountains. In the afternoon, fast moving thunderstorms can appear. Being at the summit of the mountain during a storm is a very dangerous place, especially if there is lightning. Hike in the morning to reduce the risk of being caught in a storm at the summit.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water. Hydration packs like Camelbak and Platypus brands are great to insert in packs. Many hiking packs come with their own hydration bladder.
- Bring TP. TP stands for toilet paper. You never know when nature will call. Be prepared and pack a small roll or rip off half o of the roll. Put it in a plastic bag so it stays dry. Also, you can use the plastic bag to pack out the waste and used TP.
- Let someone know where you are going. Hike with a buddy and let someone know where you are planning to go. Many times cell phones do not work in remote mountainous regions. Let someone know where you are going and when you think you will be back. This way, if anything happens, someone can alert the authorities if you do not show up after a while.
Follow these simple tips and you will be sure to enjoy your hiking experiences. What are you waiting for? Take a hike!