While there are a lot of ways you can lose weight this new year in Arlington, not that many people will be successful at it. Here are a few tips to help you lose a little weight throughout the year and save while you're at it.
Three Ways Walking More Can Help You Lose Weight and Save Money
While this may seem like a no brainer, it's actually something a lot of people can do - they just don't. Some simple ideas to get you walking more include:
- Get off the Metro one stop before your destination. This will get you walking more on a daily basis, which makes a huge difference. You'll save money in the long run on your meals, as a morning walk will help your body regulate calorie consumption throughout the day - contributing to weight loss and less snacking. Snacks can get expensive, so this is a great place to start cutting them out.
- Park farther away from the front of the store or mall. As long as you park in a safe area, this will save you time on circling the parking lot like a hungry vulture, and also get some walking in for you. This will save a little bit on gas, but more importantly it will force you to think more about what you're shopping for, and how far you'll have to push it to get back to your car. That will result in less binge purchases.
- Walk to the local market - every day. By doing this, you will be more weight conscientious, which will mean you'll shop more frugally - both in terms of calories and cost.
Three Ways Talking Less Can Help You Lose Weight and Save Money
People talk more today on the phone than at any other time in history. In fact, households are spending thousands of dollars a year on their phones, yet seeing each other far less than just a few years ago.
- Walk, instead of talk. Go see the person you wanted to talk to. This will help you lose weight, and you'll spend less time on the phone. That will let you lower your total plan, which can be a huge savings.
- Go out to eat instead of chatting. No, really. You spend at least a hundred dollars a month on your phone and plan over the course of a year. You could save that money and still go out to eat once a week, every week of the year, with your best friend. As an added bonus, cafes usually have Wi-Fi, so you could show up early and get all of your SMS chat done too - for free. Because you are paying the tab, you'll likely eat more carefully.
- Chew your food complete. Seriously. If your lips are moving, you're not chewing - you're talking. That means you're eating faster - which means you are eating more. When you eat more, you're spending more, and the more you eat - well... just look at you. So, chew every bite until it is completely chewed up - which is at least 20 times chewing, but often much more. You'll talk less and eat less. Just remember to go 'Hmm, hmm, mmmm, mmmhmmmm...' If you don't, people will think you're not interested (honestly - you weren't, but it's cool).
So, that's six cheese tips to shed some pounds and save a buck while you're at it. Keep at it, and you'll save enough money to buy all the cake, cookies, and ice cream you could ever want. But you wouldn't do that, would you? Really - you wouldn't go out and get a nice big milk shake - the kind that McDonalds has, or maybe one of those awesome Dairy Queen mixed up things. Better to just have a hot steak from Outback instead.
Oh yeah - we're saving money and losing weight. My bad. Maybe you should head over to the T-Mobile or AT&T store and get one of those 100% subsidized iPhones instead. Just saying. You could even take me out to dinner. That would rock. I could even eat your fries to help you keep the weight off!