What takes only ten minutes, but can alleviate a day's worth of stress? Journaling is the answer, and it is an ideal way for single moms to unwind because it is convenient and time-efficient.
According to NY Times Bestselling author Debbie Macomber in God's Guest List, "Henry James said, 'Journaling is a record of passing impressions that allows us to catch and keep something of life.' We want to examine our lives, to savor those whom God has sent into our lives and to capture their influence and wisdom. One of the best ways we can do this is by journaling . . . Make note of each memory you capture, and leave space to reflect. Don't be afraid to journal the troublesome memories as well as the good."
Among the many benefits of journaling, the act of writing your personal thoughts can slow you down and quiet you long enough to help you savor the day. In addition,
- Journaling can be a safe outlet for your feelings and a way for you to deal with them instead of stuffing them or letting them spill out in inappropriate moments.
- Journaling helps you to deal with the past, put your fears of the future to rest, and frees you to live in the present.
- Journaling is a powerful tool for setting goals, finding solutions, and identifying hopes and dreams.
- Journaling about parenting matters and strategies for tackling problems provides an outlet for single parents who have no partner to discuss parenting issues with.
- Journaling over time reveals patterns of growth, areas that need improvement, and victories over personal challenges.
- Journaling provides a creative outlet for poems, stories, collages, and vision boards.
What are you waiting for? Give yourself ten minutes in a quiet corner to give journaling a try. You’ll write away your stress!