With each passing year more and more businesses are opening their doors to employees in the engineering field. An engineer is someone who can work well under pressure and has a very diverse set of skills, they should know how to help others and be able to problem solve. Specifically for an engineer wanting to get hired at a tech startup you should follow the following six steps in order to get hired over others who apply. A good engineer is someone who has no problem speaking in the public and they should be able to work well with those in the writing and marketing fields as well as the math department.
Six steps to getting hired as an engineer:
- You may have to start with a position that you would normally not want – this is just known as getting your foot in the door and you are still working for the company while the company is still getting your department created.
- The earlier the startup the better – Simply because there is more room for you to fit in and have a say in things.
- Always network whenever possible – be a professional version of yourself and have fun while you are scoring in some business, this does not have to be an awkward conversation.
- Bring along a captivating cover letter – all of your skills should shine through here as well as your personality; show you know what you are doing.
- You may have to start with a low pay – simply because a lot of startups normally do not have the money to pay what you deserve right away but if you stick with them you will be rewarded in a huge way.
- See every opportunity as a valuable experience – you should be proactive, do not wait around for work to be given to you, ask for it yourself or just always find something that you can do to help out.
John Michaels from www.bestairbrushcompressor.com says “As a business owner and an engineer I know exactly what these six steps mean and I once had to follow them in a similar situation. There is nothing wrong with these steps, they are a natural process and they help to mold you and the company into nothing but success and money.”