Ever wonder why being outside instantly puts you in a better mood? Natural sunlight is an extremely important part of our day-to-day lives and provides our bodies with Vitamin D, which is necessary for a healthy mind and body. Although most people believe that sunlight is harmful to your eyes, sunlight can actually be beneficial for eyesight. Here are some reasons why it is important to bring more natural light into your home and workplace:
1. This time of year brings with it less sunshine and longer nights. Most homes tend to be under lit and dark, which can cause strain on your eyes. This problem has been known to cause headaches and an overall lack of morale. A quick fix to change your lighting at home would be to put mirrors around the house to reflect the natural light. Another option is to paint an extra coat of soft white paint to brighten small spaces in the home.
2. Natural light is the best way to develop healthy eyes. Instead of sitting inside on the computer or television, spend time outside and enjoy the natural daylight. If this is not always an option for you, a good way to solve this problem is by installing a Solatube Daylighting System. Tubular daylighting devices are a great alternative to traditional skylights and will help you save money on your energy bill.
3. Exposure to natural sunlight with UV protection leads to more productivity and motivation. If you have an opportunity to work in a naturally lit environment, take it.
4. Daylight prevents most forms of depression including Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is caused from a lack of sunlight. By making sure you get enough sleep and that your bedroom is well lit will not only benefit eyesight, but also reset your internal clock.
5. Spending time outdoors has been shown to reduce the risk of nearsightedness in children and young adults. Natural light stimulates the eye to produce dopamine, which helps with healthy eye development.
6. Exposing yourself to 40 hours a week or more of florescent light can increase your risk of permanent eyesight damage. Most homes, schools and offices are lit with florescent lighting, so it is important to keep yourself exposed to as much daylight as possible.
Although natural light is good for your eyes, it is possible to cause damage with direct sunlight. Never look directly into the sun and always wear sunscreen, sunglasses or hats while in the sun. While working it is always a good idea to get a UV protecting screen for your computer to help relieve strain and damage on your eyes. Being mindful of direct sunlight and UV exposure will help decrease the risk of macular degeneration, which is caused from too much direct sunlight. Solatube Daylighting Systems allow natural light into your home while blocking the harmful UV rays. Solatube products contain everything you need to bring beautiful, natural daylight in your home or office and help maintain healthy eyesight. Not only are they great for your health, but these products are helping move towards a more sustainable future.