"Working overtime" is an appropriate description for the wrestlers in six of the ten college match-ups that went beyond regulation at the 2013 NWCA All-Star Classic at George Mason University in suburban Washington, D.C. Saturday night.
Six wrestlers ranked No. 1 in their respective weight classes by amateur wrestling website InterMat came out winners at the annual exhibition, including Ohio State's Logan Stieber, Iowa's Tony Ramos, Penn State's David Taylor, Oklahoma's Andrew Howe, Oregon State's Taylor Meeks, and Minnesota's Tony Nelson.
This year's All-Star Classic, held at GMU's Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va., introduced a couple new innovations, including two first-ever out-of-weight class matches... at 133, Iowa's Tony Ramos vs. Virginia Tech's Devin Carter, and, at 141, Ohio State's Logan Stieber vs. Oklahoma's Kendric Maple . In addition, fans could select their choices for the final three matches for the event, presumably saving the best for last, as done in mixed martial arts events.
Sadly, one recurring tradition at All-Stars is wrestlers who back out in the days before the event. The 2013 edition was no exception, as two matches had substitutions, with mixed results for the replacements. Lehigh's Joey Napoli, announced Friday as replacing an ailing Derek St. John of Iowa, came out on top in his match at 133 vs. Boston's Nestor Taffur... while Boise State's Jake Swartz, a substitute for Penn State's Ed Ruth, lost to Maryland's Jimmy Sheptock at 184.
Sponsored by the National Wrestling Coaches Association, the All-Star Classic has been college wrestling staple since 1967. In the past decade, the exhibition, originally intended to feature the top two wrestlers in each weight class, has served to kick off the collegiate calendar.
- 125: No. 3 Nahshon Garrett (Cornell) dec. No. 5 Jarrod Patterson (Oklahoma), 6-1 SV
- 133: No. 10 Mason Beckman (Lehigh) dec. No. 4 A.J. Schopp (Edinboro), 5-1
- 157: No. 10 Joey Napoli (Lehigh) dec. No. 13 Nestor Taffur (Boston U.), 2-1
- 184: No. 3 Jimmy Sheptock (Maryland) dec. No. 5 Jake Swartz (Boise State), 3-1 SV
- 197: No. 1 Taylor Meeks (Oregon State) dec. No. 2 Scott Schiller (Minnesota), 6-4 SV
- 285: No. 1 Tony Nelson (Minnesota) dec. No. 2 Mike McMullan (Northwestern), 2-1 TB
- 165: No. 1 David Taylor (Penn State) dec. No. 4 Michael Moreno (Iowa State), 13-2
- 174: No. 1 Andrew Howe (Oklahoma) dec. No. 3 Matt Brown (Penn State), 4-3
- 141: No. 1 (at 133) Tony Ramos (Iowa) dec.. No. 3 Devin Carter (Virginia Tech), 5-3 SV
- 149: No. 1 (at 141) Logan Stieber (Ohio State) dec. No. 1 Kendric Maple (Oklahoma), 6-4 TB
Want to know more? InterMat has assembled recaps from a number of college wrestling programs that had athletes competing at the 2013 NWCA All-Star Classic... all in one handy feature. And, check out USA Today's all-in-one recap of the event.
The season is here! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments, as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, the IOC and Olympic wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!