There is an adage which goes "sometimes simple is best." This adage rings true with this dish. Another adage which rings true with this dish is "flavors are something to behold."
You can actually use any type of potato for this dish. I recommend using red potatoes as their texture goes well with the other ingredients and due to their size they have less fiber and cook more rapidly. If you do opt to use another potato, you will want to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
This is the perfect side dish for any type of entree. It is also quite good when served as a brunch with some pickled prawns or Caesar Salad.
Ingredients needed to make Lemon Roasted Potatoes with Bacon (serves 4):
- 1 ½ pound bacon, chopped
- 1 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. minced marjoram
- Pre-heat oven to 450.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and discard all but 3 Tbs. of the rendered bacon fat.
- Into a sauté pan add the reserved bacon fat, potatoes, onion and zest. Place the pan in the oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Stir into the potatoes the bacon and marjoram and bake 15 minutes before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook" is now available worldwide and features 80 dishes from the era of the most acclaimed television show in the history of PBS, Downton Abbey.