Cinco de Mayo, the fifth of May happens to fall on a Monday this year. Mondays also happen to be a busy travel day. So how do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo while traveling? Easy! Follow a few simple tips and you will be ready for the fiesta no matter where you are.
First it's important to understand what you are celebrating is a victory. A victory that showed the strength of the Mexican Army at the Battle of Puebla that would be declared a holiday in 1862. Celebrations for this holiday show pride and the spirit of the people. Events surrounding Cinco de Mayo are typically loud and colorful with plenty of food and drink.
Celebrating this holiday does not have to be planned. It's quite easy to join in wherever you may be.
1. Share the Mexican pride and wear the colors of the Mexican flag. Red, white and green. By dressing in the colors of the flag, you show your support of what the holiday truly means.
2. Find the local party store and pick up some party favors. Grab a pinata and sombrero and you're ready to go.
3. Visit a local Mexican restaurant. Most likely, you will find great food and drink specials and even special events hosted at the local Cantina.
4. Visit the city visitors center and inquire about fun local events such as parades or festivals. You might even find some very unique events.
5. Simply ask the locals. You are likely to find out the very best locations to celebrate.
6. If all else fails, turn on a bit of Mariachi and sip a Margarita!
What is your favorite way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
For more travel tips and recipes including 55 Cinco de Mayo Recipes, visit Daily Dish Magazine.