The long wait is over for Mac users. On August 29th, 2013, SimCity became available for purchase as a digital-only release for Mac. Those who purchase the PC disk version of SimCity will have instant access to this version as well.
The PC and Mac versions will not only share the same server, but also receive updates at the same time.
Some of the updates in the most recent SimCity patch include:
- Tool to create bridges, overpasses, and tunnels when you draw your roads.
- Improvements for traffic behavior to make it smarter. This should reduce the number of lines formed by all available vehicles converging on a single spot. This affects all vehicles including Police, Fire Trucks, Moving Trucks, Garbage Trucks, Recycling Trucks, Resource Trucks, Buses, Ambulances, and Civilian vehicles.
- Tree tools – Place individual trees along your city roads.
- Vehicles now accelerate and decelerate faster, allowing them to leave buildings and cross intersections more efficiently.
- Airship: The number of Airship passenger trips should now be correct over multiple days.
- Freight: Freight trucks now only leave factories if they have a valid delivery destination.
You can view the full list of game updates at the official EA forums.
SimCity released on May 5th, 2013 for PC. It requires Origin and an internet connection to play. Since July 2013, SimCity has sold over 2 million copies despite its rocky start with server issues.
Source: Official SimCity Blog