An Illinois witness driving east along 191st Street at 90th Avenue in Tinley Park reported watching a silent object with six lights flying in a V-pattern about 6:21 p.m. on January 2, 2013, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
"It appeared to be approximately around Harlem Avenue at the time," the witness stated. "It continued east over Tweeter and Carmax and eventually towards 57 where I lost sight."
The witness described the object.
"At first it looked like several airplane lights but they weren't moving that fast and were in a distinct V-pattern like geese migrating. It was also not moving fast enough to be planes. Possibly helicopters, but I couldn't hear any noise and the lights were fairly large."
The witness managed to take some photos, but they were taken in the dark while the witness was driving.
"The quality is poor. You can see three of the lights in the bottom right hand corner. The snowy objects are my dirty windshield and the three white squares are my vehicle stickers. The object was about out of range when I took it."
No images or videos were submitted with the MUFON report, which was filed on January 3, 2012. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Tinley Park is a village located primarily in Cook County with a small section in Will County, population 56,703.
Recently covered Illinois UFO cases include:
- Pyramid-shaped UFO over Illinois was 'bigger than a two-story house'
- Illinois disc UFO described as 'blue, laser-like ring'
- Diamond-shaped object reported hovering low over Illinois town
- Cigar UFO 'with no sound' reported hovering low over Illinois town
- Illinois driver follows low hovering lights near Urbana
- Cigar UFO reported hovering over Indiana town just 'disappeared'
- Oval UFO surprises Illinois witness at 50 feet off ground
- New witness surfaces in Illinois UFO case from January 2000
- Illinois siblings share second UFO sighting of disc-shaped object
- Illinois witnesses report '3-foot bubble' UFO over Knox County
- 'Three silent objects' with blue-white lights watched by Illinois witness
- '30-foot disc' UFO follows Illinois couple in Will County
- Video: Disc UFO caught on camera over Illinois
Illinois is a current UFO ALERT 5 rating, with a low number of UFO sightings nationally. Illinois had 6 reports in December 2012 - the 25th highest reporting state while California had 75 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The following is the unedited report filed with MUFON. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or manmade. If Illinois MUFON State Director Sam Maranto investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
January 2, 2013, 6:21 p.m., Tinley Park, Cook County, IL. 6 lights flying in V pattern over 191st headed E / SE towards tweeter and 57. Case 44979.
Was driving on 191st street heading east at around 90th avenue when I first saw it. It appeared to be approximately around Harlem avenue at the time. It continued East over Tweeter and Carmax and eventually towards 57 where I lost sight. At first it looked like several airplane lights but they werent moving that fast and were in a distinct v pattern like geese migrating. It was also not moving fast enough to be planes. Possibly helicopters but I couldnt hear any noise and the lights were fairly large. Took pics but was driving at night when I did it. The quality is poor. You can see 3 of the lights in the bottom right hand corner. The snowy objects are my dirty windshield and the 3 white squares are my vehicle stickers. The object was about out of range when I took it.