You probably know them as Shrinky Dinks and think of them as kid's crafts. You may not know that you can make quality accessories, jewelry and gifts out of shrink plastic, though. Shrinky Dinks can be made to look like small fused glass projects, suncatcher mobiles, and tiles. Use your artistic drawing ability and make miniature works of art.
- Crafster has many ideas shared by users
- Michaels Craft Store and Country Living Magazine have a tutorials for charm bracelets
- Minnesota Science Teachers Education Project has a lesson on making your own shrink plastic
- Craft blog Planet June shows you how to make shrink plastic rings
- Green Lifestyle Changes has a great idea for making wine charms
- The craft blogs Bagalicious pushes the creative boundaries with vivid colors and layering effects in their necklaces
As you can see, shrink plastic arts and crafts are a viable, inexpensive and grown up medium. Interesting and creative shrink plastic goods are being sold on Etsy and at craft shows. Try your hand at Shrinky Dinks again. It may bring back good old memories from when you were a kid.
For more of my articles and to read new ones, like my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SpokaneArtsCraftsExaminer