Spring is definitely here, evidenced by the temperatures reaching into the 80's, the blooming of spring flowers, pollen dusting the vehicles, and the smell of barbecue grills on a Saturday afternoon, as well as a plethora of things to do. What follows is my top 10 list for weekend activities in the Shreveport/Bossier area. Click on the links for more information.
- Holiday In Dixie - The festival will run from April 11-20. The parade will be Saturday, April 12th, 2014 at 5:30 pm in downtown Shreveport beginning at the Municipal Auditorium.Activities will include live music, vendors, games, arts and crafts, delicious carnival food and fantastic rides, as well as the annual KTBS 3 Holiday in Dixie Treasure Hunt.
- Brother's Keepers Burn Run at Lake Bistineau - The twelfth annual Brother's Keepers Burn Run to raise money for the Ark-La-Tex Burn Foundation and Camp I'm Still Me to support child burn victims, will take place this Friday and Saturday, April 11 and 12, 2014.
- The Wizard of Oz Ballet - The Shreveport Metropolitan Ballet presents its most beloved original ballet, The Wizard of Oz! This ballet, featuring original choreography by SMB Artistic Director Kendra Meiki and an original score by SMB Music Director Kermit Poling, premiered in 2006 to rave reviews. The Wizard of Oz will be performed with a live orchestra at Shreveport’s Riverview Theater on Saturday, April 12th and Sunday, April 13th at 3:00 pm.
- Brantley Gilbert at Century Link Center - This is an almost sold out concert. If you can get tickets, you're very lucky. Most are being sold by resellers and the price may exceed face value.
- ABA Basketball Championship Finals at the Hirsch Coliseum April 10-15. - Our very own, Shreveport Mavericks, will play at 8 pm Saturday for a chance to be in the finals. See the tournament bracket here.
- Beer and Barbecue at Bossier City Harley-Davidson - Visit Shreveport's only Harley-Davidson dealership Saturday for some free beverages and burgers starting at noon and ending at 2 pm or until supplies are depleted. Enjoy free music entertainment by "Midnight Lightning".
- Easter Egg Hunt and fun run - Christus Louisiana Athletic Club, off Viking Drive in Bossier City, will be the site of Easter Fun on Saturday, April 12, 2014. A giant Easter Egg hunt is planned beginning at 9:15 am, and best of all, admission is free. There will be more than 2,000 eggs and hunting areas will be assigned for various age groups to keep things fair. Afterwards, enjoy a free cupcake. The 5K Bunny Run that starts at 8:30 am.
- Shreveport Maker's Fair - The Spring 2014 edition of the popular Texas Avenue Makers Fair will be held on Saturday, April 12 in downtown Shreveport. Taking place at the corner of Texas Avenue and Common Street in downtown Shreveport. Makers (Vendors) offer a wide assortment of handmade, re-purposed or reconstructed items ranging from clothing and fashion accessories to unique toys, food and art. An unusual assortment of roving entertainers and performances are scheduled throughout the day – you will never experience the same Makers Fair twice.Admission is free and abundant free parking is available near the event.
- Shreveport Regional Arts Council presents The Big Scene - UNSCENE! has teamed up with the Texas Avenue Makers Fair and Holiday in Dixie to bring you the BIG SCENE! Join us for Makers Fair shopping, food truck eating, 4 stages of UNSCENE! live music listening, and Holiday in Dixie parading all in one day of free fun!
- Northwest Louisiana Master Gardner's plant sale. The Northwest Louisiana Master Gardeners will hold their annual Spring Plant Sale Saturday, April 12, from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m. at the Randle T. Moore Center, located at the corner of Fairfield Avenue and Kings Highway. There will be a wide selection of perennials, shade plants, unique vines, and fragrant herbs for sale. In addition, many varieties of native plants grown by Master Gardeners will also be available. For more information contact the Master Gardener office at (318)698-0010 or visit the master Gardner website.
There's plenty to do this weekend, and if that's not enough, you could always stay home and throw some ribs, chicken or burgers on the grill.