Should I admit that now and then I need to take a rest on my quest for new music and live experiences? I shall. I'm not embarrassed.
The itch is back, however, and I'm on the move again, checking the usual haunts, but also looking for something new to capture me. It was Brian Costello's Newcity cover article that knocked me back onto the hunt. House shows are happening again and it sounds exciting. (Not being able to curse on here is even less cool than you may think.) I want in. Apparently you and I are invited. We should go together.
For the moment, that's neither here nor there. "Here" is this Examiner page you are reading, and "there" is the bevy of venues in this fair city that these noteworthy shows are happening at this week.
Wednesday—which also goes by "tomorrow" today—forces tough decisions upon us. By my count, there are five strong shows duking it out for our attention.
- At Subterranean, Chicago punk stalwarts the Lawrence Arms have sold the place out, so if you're not holding a ticket at this point, that's one less show to consider. If you are holding a ticket, bully for you and can I come too?
- Similar band, similar pedigree Alexisonfire takes the stage at Lincoln Hall for an all ages show. Ticket is $15 and show is at 6:30 PM.
- Little Brother, one of the best hip-hop's best duos, are on their last tour together, but at least they're stopping at Double Door. Check 'em out before they each go their own way. Doors at 8 PM, show at 9 PM. Tickets are $20-$40.
- Sage Francis has a new CD out now and will be stopping at the Bottom Lounge. It features live instrumentation, much of which brought to you by Califone. This show will feature a live band as well, but I don't know if any Califone members are in it. Best way to find out would be to get there at 8 PM after paying $20 at the door
- Finally for this Wednesday, electro act Shuttle will be at the Empty Bottle along with other electronic acts. Should be cool, plus you can still get $5 tickets here, which amounts to a free Hamm's (including tip). Show starts at 9 PM.
And that's just Wednesday, folks. I'm going to list the rest of what's happening this week after I hit you with some bold names that will stand out and catch your eye: Metric, JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, The Spill Canvas, and The Buzzcocks. Pow. Pow pow pow pow. Pow pow pow pow.
Thursday, May 20:
Friday, May 21:
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings — Vic Theater — 8 PM, $22, 18+
Voxtrot (Last show in Chicago) — Lincoln Hall — 10 PM, $14, 18+
JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound, Blah Blah Blah, Hollows, Lasers & Fast & Sh t — Metro — 8/9 PM, $10, 18+
Camera, Molehill — Beat Kitchen — 9/9:30 PM, $8, 21+
Saturday, May 22:
Sunday, May 23:
I'm not a mathematician, but I think we may have just set a record for shows featured in one week. And this is just an appetizer for street fest season.