Someone once said that my true major was shopping. That may be because I love shopping at unusual places. If you have an artist in the family or just want to bring more beauty into your world, here are some gift suggestions.
Who doesn't love shopping at museum stores? LACMA is a great place to start.
- If you want to splurge, try a gold Made in California necklace by Jennifer Meyer ($6,450 for non-members and $5,805 for LACMA members). Made by Jennifer Meyer Maguire, the necklace is 18-karate yellow gold with white pavé diamonds (total weight of 0.53 carats).
- Got a car lover? How about a Chris Burden Custom Metropolis II Car 2012 ($275/$247). The cars were originally made for Burden's sculpture "Metropolis II"and the artist's name and the title of the work molded into the sidewalls of all four wheels and the bottom of the car.
- Need to keep warm and love the color orange? How about an Elder Statesman Large "Feather" Pashimina Shawl ($958/$862.20). The shawl was designed for LACMA and inspired by the Peruvian textile in LACMA's permanent collection. The piece is 100 percent cashmere and 50 x 50 inches.
- If you're on a budget how about something that erases mistakes? A John Baldessari "Wrong" Eraser ($6.95/$6.25). That's about 2-inches square of latex-free, non-toxic and non-PVC white eraser.
- Proclaim your love of LACMA by buying a cup that says it all. The LACMA Chalkboard mug ($12.95/$11.65) is another John Baldessari item. It comes with a set of colored chalk to write on the surface and leave your own designs. That's something to do while you're eating breakfast or away to leave personal messages when you serve tea or coffee.
- How about bringing a little bit of light into a child's life? Try the Little Sun Solar-Powered Light ($30/$27). That's five hours of sunlight becoming 3 hours of light. You can wear it as a pendant.
- While your child is waiting for 15 minutes of fame, he or she can puzzle out Andy Warhol's Tomato Soup Soup Can in pink ($17.99/$16.19). The puzzle has 200 pieces and is made of 90 percent recycled paper.
- You can also try various memory games that teach about art and art history (15.98).
- Dog lovers can get their pooch a Nara Pull toy ($90).
- Beginning in 2013, you can get a special LACMA ornament. Created exclusively by the Haas Brothers for LACMA, the inaugural ornament is inspired by the LACMA exhibition "Drawing Surrealism." You get a choice of colors ($30/$27).
I love shopping in Pasadena at the local museums and gardens.
- Try the Huntington Library or the Norton Simon. If you know someone with an interest in Asia, you can't miss with the Pacific Asia Museum.
- Locally made jewelry can also be found at the Pasadena Museum of History and the Pasadena Museum of California Art. PMCA is almost right next to the Pacific Asia Museum and you can shop without actually going into the museum.
- Buy a membership to any of the museums or the three local botanic gardens (Los Angeles Arboretum, Huntington Library and Descanso).
- A trip to or membership in The Gamble House. The bookstore has the wonderful "Gamble House: Greene and Greene" ($22.95).
Notable books from the Huntington Library include "One Hundred Years in the Huntington's Japanese Garden: Harmony with Nature" ($45), the exhibition catalogue for "Face to Face: Flanders, Florence, and Renaissance Painting" ($29.95) and "The Art of Wealth: The Huntingtons in the Gilded Age" ($40).
If your artist needs materials, how about a gift certificate from any of these merchants?
- Gift certificates from Michael's, Dick Blick or Jo-Ann Fabrics.
- Daniel Smith for paper, paint and printmaking supplies.
- For metalsmith's or jewelry makers, try a gift certificate from Rio Grande or Otto Frei.
- For enamelists, try a gift certificate for a class in Sierra Madre, Schlaifer's Enameling Supplies LLC (closed for Winter break), Rio Grande.
- Your ceramicist, might enjoy a gift certificate from Aardvark Clay and Supplies.
- If your artist into stained glass? Try the Eagle Rock Stained Glass and Fused Supplies of Los Angeles.
- Into leather? Turn to Tandy Leathercraft and Leather Craft Supplies.