The World Wide Web is the ultimate hub for finding the best deals on holiday gifts. The prices are incredible and the selection is even better. The convenience of online shopping goes unrivaled, especially if you have a long holiday shopping list and you want to get it done quickly and easily.
Year after year, more holiday shoppers are getting comfortable with shopping online. However, shoppers need to keep in mind that personal information could easily be compromised on the Internet if safety steps aren't taken– here are some precautions to take for safe online holiday shopping:
- Update security software– All devices you use for online shopping, whether a tablet or laptop, should have up-to-date and reputable security software.
- Look for the lock – Make sure the website is legitimate by looking out for a closed padlock on your web browser’s address bar. For new websites, check online reviews.
- ‘S’ means secure – When shopping online, be sure you see https (the “s” stands for secure) at the beginning of the URL for any page where you plan to enter financial information.
- Use a secure wireless network – Remember, a secure network connection is ideal. Pubic Wi-Fi can be hacked, exposing your passwords, billing information, and other sensitive data. Secure your home network with a password that includes a combination of letters and numbers.
- Shop familiar websites – Start at a trusted website like Zappos.com or Amazon.com, rather than with a search engine result. Check online reviews for unfamiliar websites. Beware of misspellings or sites using a different top-level domain (.net instead of .com, for example).