Summer will soon be over and fall fashions are already in the shops. Now is the time to take an inventory of your summer clothes and consider replacements for next summer. There are great bargains to found on summer fashions. I found a $75 swimsuit marked down to $10 at Marshall’s. This is the perfect time to stock up on the basics – tee shirts, tank tops, lightweight flirty dresses and skirts, swimsuits, sandals, linen tops and pants.
There was a time when the major department stores had fabulous end of season sales. They also had individual personalities. Today the large department stores try to be all things to all people.
They a have sameness about them and everyday is a sale day
Many high-end boutiques have sales reminiscent of the days of the grand old department stores. The small boutiques have true end of the season sales. Hampden Clothing on King Street is one of my favorites. The shop is selling a Kenzo color block dress originally priced at $788 for $197 and a MSGM floral print dress originally priced at $756 for $189. Those are true end of summer sales. Felice Designs sells unique handmade murano glass jewelry. The shop is offering 15% off all items purchased on-line from August 26 to August 30.
Before you go on a shopping spree, focus on what you need and consider the following:
1) Is the style and color flattering to your body type and skin tone?
2) Will it work with your existing clothing items and accessories?
3) Is it appropriate for your job and lifestyle?
4) Is it a fad or will it be in style for two or more seasons?
5) Does it fit properly? (If you need to lose weight for it to fit, don’t buy it.)
6) Is it comfortable?
7) Is it right for the climate you live in?
8) Is the fabric of good quality and is it well made?
9) Can you afford it?
10) How much maintenance (ironing, dry cleaning) does it require?
Remember a sale is not a bargain if the outfit hangs forgotten in the back of your closet.