Does the great weather Houston has been having this spring make you want to get outside? Why not go to one of the numerous farmers markets around town to do your shopping? With the coming summer, many of the farmers markets are picking up the pace. Some are only open during the summer. Below are a few of the local farmers markets where you can get locally grown produce from the Houston area that will make a difference in all of your cooking.
Be sure to check out the websites and talk to the vendors at the farmers markets, you may get great cooking ideas to bring to your own kitchen.
When you visit a farmers market, do a few things to make your trip more productive:
1. Talk to all the vendors. Ask about where the produce comes from because some vendors may bring retail produce instead of locally grown fruits and vegetables.
2. Walk around the entire market before you buy. This is the best way to save money by finding the best deals and the best-looking produce.
3. Carry your own reusable shopping bags. Not all vendors will have bags to put your purchases in, and unless you want to be toting an armful of asparagus, you need to bring your own bags.
4. Bring your children. Farmers markets are great places to teach children about locally grown foods and choosing the best produce.
5. Get there early. Most farmers markets are scheduled for mornings, but Houston summer days can heat up quickly. For the best selection and bearable temperatures, get there as soon as the market opens.
Rice University Farmers Market – Tuesdays from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
5600 Greenbriar Dr.
Houston, Texas 77005
Note: Please use entrance 13B when visiting this farmers market.
City Hall Farmers Market – Wednesdays 11 am to 1:30 pm
901 Bagby St.
Houston, Texas 77002
Note: This farmers market closes for the summer after June 14, 2014.
Grogan's Mill Farmers Market – Saturdays 8 to 12 p.m. (year-round)
7 Switchbud Place
Spring, Texas 77380
Note: Visit the farmers market's Facebook page to see upcoming vendors and deals.
Try some of the recipes from the Grogan's Mill farmers market.
Clear Lake Shores Farmers Market – Saturdays 9 to 1 p.m.
1020 Marina Bay Drive
Clear Lake Shores, Texas 77565
Urban Harvest Farmers Market – Saturdays 8 to 12 p.m. and Sundays 11 to 3 p.m.
Houston, Texas 77098