Marine Base Quantico was put into lockdown late Thursday night when shooting began on the base around 11 p.m. The suspect was barricaded in the barracks, and a standoff between authorities and the suspect began after the shooting.
According to an ABC News report on Friday, March 22, authorities entered the barracks early Friday morning and found the suspect dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Two other victims were found when authorities found the gunman’s body.
Lt. Agustin Solivan said that both shooting victims were Marines, and that the gunman was also a Marine and staff member at the Office Candidate School at the Quantico Marine base in Virginia. Lt. Solivan said the shooting is an isolated incident and believe that there are no other casualties. It is not known at this time what the motive was for the shooting.
Using a public address system, police announced a base lockdown. Law enforcement officials from the base and Prince William County surrounded the area. It is unclear whether the suspect and the victims knew each other. The names of the shooter and the victims have not yet been released.
According to a tweet from Marine Corp Base Quantico in the early morning hours of Friday, March 22, the lockdown had been lifted:
“Marine Corps Base Quantico is Code Green at this time. All normal activities are cleared to resume.”
All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.